Thread: weighing hives

Hybrid View

Default weighing hives

Need some help figuring out my hive weights , not sure if my method will work for actual weight or just for comparing my own hives . My hives are on a 2x6 frame which is sitting on concrete blocks . I have the three hives sitting with the bottom board hanging over the back edge about an inch , just enough so I can put the S- hook on my scale under it and lift the back of the hive about an inch off the rack . All 3 hives are the same two deep brood boxes except for hive number one has two honey supers still on so its going to be hard to compare that one .Hive number one 2 deeps and two honey supers with honey 75 pds , hive number two just 2 deeps 50 pds. and hive number three just two deeps 85 pds . There seems to be quite a difference , can anyone shed some lite on this or should I be weighing them from the side , problem is I have support pieces running in the way for side weighing .

Default Re: weighing hives

I am surprised the hive with the honey supers is lighter than the 85 lbs one.

Ideally, if your stand is level, the back weight should be approximately half the weight. To test, place a bottom board or similar on the stand (if you have space) and a known weight (bag of dog food or similar) and see how close to the half point you are by weighing in a similar manner. If you are close, I would be worried about the lighter 2 hives as they are too light for double deeps and esp the one with the supers.

Ok , I'll give it a try with a known weight , good idea, and see what I get , I'm surprised too because that was my strongest hive from the start and the only one giving me any extra honey !

Laketrout,
    I weigh mine by your method -putting the scale under the back and lifting. Then I double the reading. I never checked the accuracy but this ain't rocket science.
    Charlie
    11 Hives zone 5

I have such a wide range of weights was wondering whats going on , I checked it and I'm getting half my hive weight almost right on the button . So that means hive #1 is 150 pds minus the two supers and any honey ,, hive two is 100 pds and hive three is 170 pds so how do theses weights stack up for winter stores. I did notice just by feel that #2 was lite and I have been feeding it .Hive # 1 is a complete surprise I don't know why its so lite .

I don't know about your area , but my bees have not been bring in much. So far I have fed 150 pounds of sugar to 10 hives.
    Charlie