Post WSU Old World queens

So the WSU got some old world germplasm which they've been mixing in with local stocks to get purer strains.

Has anyone tried these stocks? Does anyone know which breeders rear queens from these stocks? I'd like to know what their performance and behavior is like.

Default Re: WSU Old World queens

I got 3 of their open mated queens this year, can't say anything about the old world stocks or how these bees fit into that program. Their prices for breeders I would say are fairly high, I may get a few in the future just to see. The queens I got from them are doing ok. Nothing spectacular in my opinion but seem decent enough so far. I'll update next year if they make it. Customer service was a bit iffy, I'll give you that warning. I placed my order as they requested, I even typed it up in MS Word so it looked nice and professional..... Luckily they called "me" before shipping.... They had my name wrong, the number of queens wrong, and I was apparently the head of the Puget Sound Beekeeping association.... I'll give the guy on the phone some credit, he just gets the invoice or paperwork from whoever receives the orders and I was able to clear everything up and the queens arrived the next day in good shape. My only other complaint was, out of the 3 queens, 1 was caged in a two hole cage w/o a candy plug so she got direct released that day..... For $50 a queen I would expect better service.... The head of the club got two queens btw....apparently...

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    So the WSU got some old world germplasm which they've been mixing in with local stocks to get purer strains.

Has anyone tried these stocks? Does anyone know which breeders rear queens from these stocks? I'd like to know what their performance and behavior is like.
    I have tried their stock. Their bees aren't any better than other . They winter small, make lots of honey but still need varroa treatments.

Quote Originally Posted by RAK View Post
    I have tried their stock. Their bees aren't any better than other . They winter small, make lots of honey but still need varroa treatments.
    You got one of their 750$ breeder queens yourself, or you bought their through a breeder?

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    1 was caged in a two hole cage w/o a candy plug so she got direct released that day
    Wow. What does this say about their program.... I was going to give them some business this year, but now I'm kinda glad I held off.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Astro, it worked out but I didn't even know what to say at the time. The queens all come in one of those bulk boxes with about 1/2 a frame of bees shaken into the box to take care of them. My first reaction was why is this cage smaller.... I'll take a picture of it, it's still around somewhere. The bees were packaged well and shipped quickly, I will give them koudos there. Maybe it's not a big deal though, gotta come back and remove the cages anyways, but if you weren't coming back for awhile not much else you can do except carry extra cages around or direct release.