Thread: Questions

Default Questions

First of all what is it that makes my beehives smell like a fresh baked cake all over the back yard? I love it, I am located In kentucky and figure it is something they are processing. Next does anyone use powdered sugar as mite control treatments. Third, i have my entrance reducers on again and tonight noticed some black hornets outside crawling around. I am sure the hives can defend themselves but I was just wondering if it is normal for hornets to do this and if there is anything I should do about it. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Default Re: Questions

I'm not sure what your smell is. I would guess goldenrod, although I have never heard it described as fresh baked cake before. I think some beeks around here use powdered sugar. I don't use anything. I'm trying to go treatment free. And last, I haven't had much trouble from hornets, but yellow jackets are driving me crazy.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 10-13-2013 at 07:29 PM. Reason: UNQ

Next does anyone use powdered sugar as mite control treatments.
    I do. I use both sugar shake to get a mite count and sugar dusting to keep the numbers down. So far so good--but this is the first year I've had VSH genetics in my hives. It's made quite a difference. I still dust if I get any mites in my sugar shake, tho. I do the 3 x a week for 2 weeks and have had really good numbers all spring and summer. In years past, I also did an OA dribble late in the year, although I may not need it this year. It's more work than some methods out there but I never keep very many hives, so that's never been a problem to me.

As to the hornets, have you tried robber screens?

HTH

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Hills Farm View Post
    I do. I use both sugar shake to get a mite count and sugar dusting to keep the numbers down. So far so good--but this is the first year I've had VSH genetics in my hives. It's made quite a difference. I still dust if I get any mites in my sugar shake, tho. I do the 3 x a week for 2 weeks and have had really good numbers all spring and summer. In years past, I also did an OA dribble late in the year, although I may not need it this year. It's more work than some methods out there but I never keep very many hives, so that's never been a problem to me.

As to the hornets, have you tried robber screens?

HTH

Rusty
    do you think I need robber screens? this was the first time i have noticed them. like i said the entrances are small now im sure the bees can defend it, i hope ! and as for the smell and describing it like cake, im serious it smells awesome haha.

Not sure about the smell.

Hornets can pray on the bees. Do you see any signs that they are bothering the hives? Usually hives under pressure will be more aggressive. Established hives should be able to take care of them.