Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Automated Bottling Line

Hey I'm looking at getting an automated bottling line that fills a jar, caps it and sticks on a label... Does anyone have any experience with them? What's the Cadillac and what should one stay away from? Will the same line do both 1kg (Quart) and the 500g (Half quart) jars or does that take another machine? Also do glass and plastic jars require a different line or just some kind of adjustment? What sort of a cost would one be looking at? Any help would be much appreciated thanks in advance.

Default Re: Automated Bottling Line

Swienty is probably a good bet.

I'd think you'd be looking at min. of $80,000 CAD for a perfectly integrated line. Obviously the faster and more versatile you need the line to be, the more you will spend.

If you are handy, you may be able to piece together a container feed line, filler, capping and labeling stations for less from different suppliers/used equipment.

Tooling for your specific closures and containers is where you will have to spend money and time in changeovers.
    Blue Sky Bee Supply
    Quality Bee Supplies, Bees and Containers!

The ability to fill different size jars with a piston filler will be determinedby the size of pistons available. On some machines they are removable.

The first question you must answer is how many jars an hour are you looking to fill, and will that increase in the near future.

Often a separate filler, capper and labeller are linked together, with one feeding the next, all of different brands.

Crazy Roland

Alright, thanks for the info... I'll do some calling around and see what I come up with

You should look up Coopers Honey in Peculiar Mo and call Ryan Cooper. I seen his automated bottling line. I was very impressive when I see it.

Are you looking at glass or plastic bottles? How many an hour?

Crazy Roland

Glass mainly but the ability to do plastic wouldn't be a bad thing... 1000 would be good but the ability to do more in less time could be useful.

Generally, the more flexible a machine is, the slower it is. High speed machines typically take a longer time to switch over to a different size. Try to use all the same size cap, one less thing to change. A good filler for glass may not work well on plastic. Some fillers use a geneva wheel that starts and stops the bottle motion. Plastic does not like that. Choose your containers and filling/capping/labeling machines with the other in mind.

Crazy Roland

How much honey do you sell?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

hello markt, I am expanding my packing side of the business? I am looking into bottlers etc. I can not justify an auto system at this time. I am curious if you are using a manual filler ( along the lines of Dadant and Mannlake fillers) if so may I ask what type and what your experience has been with it? Also may I ask at what volume you figure that a automatic system is worth while. Thanks very much GB
    George Brenner @ www.valleyhoneyco.com
    Mesa, AZ

As a fellow beekeeper said to me," if each jar is a few ounces over, start to multiply that up and the amount of moneys worth of honey you are giving away against exactly the correct amount every jar) the machine would soon pay for itself" That said I have still not bought one, next season perhaps

One that will fill 1,000 jars an hour?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Not many beekeepers in the uk need that sort of capacity, our biggest beefarmer runs around 2000 colonies

I am in complete agreement regarding the savings bye only putting in the desired amount. I am doing enough volume now that the savings will add up rapidly. I am mainly Wondering how much volume a person would have to do to make an automated line worth while ?

Quote Originally Posted by beebreeder View Post
    As a fellow beekeeper said to me," if each jar is a few ounces over, start to multiply that up and the amount of moneys worth of honey you are giving away against exactly the correct amount every jar) the machine would soon pay for itself" That said I have still not bought one, next season perhaps
    Mesa, AZ

I think a big variable has to be the initial cost of the equipment; It is so specialized that it is bound to be incredibly expensive if bought new; There are bargains to be had with older machines, but then the maintenance becomes more tricky. Some people have the talent to keep things going.
    I have been racking my brains trying to remember the brand names of the packaging lines that we ran when I was a production supervisor in an adhesives and sealant manufacturing plant, but I am coming up empty. What I do remember is that much of the equipment was german, accurate to within a gram or so, and very reliable. As well as being used in adhesive and sealants it was used in candy manufacturing.

Quote Originally Posted by G B View Post
    I am in complete agreement regarding the savings bye only putting in the desired amount. I am doing enough volume now that the savings will add up rapidly. I am mainly Wondering how much volume a person would have to do to make an automated line worth while ?
    Okay since I didn't get an answer from the OPer I will ask you. How much honey r u packing each year? I have packed and sold 30,000 lbs of honey annually using two Maxant 300 lb bottling tanks. I know operations that bottle a lot more than I do who don't have packing lines.

hello mark! I would anticipate packing 50-75 drums in the next year. I have been using a 2 inch Syracuse valve and it's fast but I have a hard time getting enough in the jar with out going over to much. I am now using a regular ball valve , it's slower but I seem to be more precise with it.Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome..GB
    Mesa, AZ

Im hoping to be packing a bit more than that soon and am looking at using a dadant filler.

Gee, now I feel so small.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Gee, now I feel so small.
    If it makes you feel any better.....I'm much smaller.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast