Default Swarm Trap Built Like Stud Space?

Hello:
    The feral hives I feed are in an old grainery building. This summer I put out 2 swarm traps on the building but the Bees just ignored them and established hives in other parts of the building. I was thinking of constructing a trap like a wall stud space with old lumber and hang it on the wall thinking that maybe the Bees would swarm to something familiar. Three feet high, with 2x4 sides 16 inches wide will give me about 40 liters and I could probably get 3 topbars or frames at the top for easy removal. What do you think?

Default Re: Swarm Trap Built Like Stud Space?

>old grainery building

I think they are swarming into cavities formerly used by bees that smell more inviting than your swarm traps. Swarms also often move a distance away from their site, the new swarms moving into the grainery might be from hives far away. Place your traps 1/4 mile away and see what you catch there. If your traps have not been used before, on the inside melt some beeswax and propolis with a heat gun swirling in a few drops of lemongrass oil as you do so. The swarm trap should contain as much old black comb as you can spare.

Hello odfrank: Thanks for your reply. I only started trapping this year so it's all one big experiment for me. But I know the feral hive has been there at least 8 years. The owner of the building said there was always only one hive until this year. I think I may have caused the 2 swarms this year because I fed them this spring for the first time they have ever been fed there by a person. The one swarm has established itself right beside the opening for the owners grain auger so he knows there have never been bees there. Also I have not seen any other hives in the area and we live in a sparsely inhabited locale on the bald prairie. The two hives I now have were caught 5 miles away with bees wax and lemon grass oil. I wish I had some old comb but being a newbie I will have to wait for that. I am going to try the heat gun idea and I never thought of mixing LGO in with the wax. Thanks again.

DSCF0908.jpg

Swarm moved into the next wall cavity. Next spring, the one on the right gets a new home as well.
    Odfrank forgot more than I know! lol
    Good tips.

>Odfrank forgot more than I know! lol

I also did not forget how to post pictures large enough so that we can see what they are!!!

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    I also did not forget how to post pictures large enough so that we can see what they are!!!
    Tip to remedy this. Any time you want to enlarge a small photo on a page, or enlarge the letters in the writing, just hold down the Ctrl button and push the + key. Each time you press the + key, the photo and the writing will enlarge. Keep pushing until it is large enough to see, or, large enough to read easily.

Another way to enlarge the photo and the writing, is to hold down control and roll the wheel on the mouse. Will enlarge the photo and the writing. To restore to original size, just hold control down and hit the number zero (0).The page will revert back to original size.

cchoganjr
    Last edited by Cleo C. Hogan Jr; 10-14-2013 at 04:57 AM. Reason: add another way to enlarge photo

Wierd... typically you can click on the posted pic and it will enlarge automatically. This one doesn't for some odd reason.DSCF0908.jpg

I was able to click it open larger but it looses it's focus. I use Photobucket to post pictures here.
    A fence cutout this summer: