Southern Worcester County, Massachusetts, USA

Default Comb too deep for eggs?

Hey everyone. So I've posted before about my hive trials and tribulations. The one that re-queened itself seems to be doing well - still loads of brood in there. Other hive, today I found a queen in there. Unknown if it's the same but I don't think so - so looks like they requeened her as well. Very little brood just in one area (this is the hive that has wonky comb patterns and incomplete frames, etc) But much of the comb they've drawn that is empty is really deep - almost like they drew it all the way out to the neighboring frame and left the neighbroing frame empty - if that makes sense?

Long way to ask - is it possible they've built all this comb too deep for the queen to want to lay? There's no brood in the lower box at all, just all this empty comb.

Thanks

Default Re: Comb too deep for eggs?

Sometimes, the bees will draw honey comb way too deep. However, if they decide to use this comb for brood rearing, they will trim it back to the appropriate length. Chances are that the queen isn't laying because it is too late in the season (the queen has shut down), or if this is a new supercedure, she might not be laying yet.

Sometimes, the fall flow is not enough for the bees to push the queen and the brood nest back into the lower box. Have you checked the weight of your hives lately? This might give you some ideas:
    Fall inspections: Do I need to feed and how much?

Southern Worcester County, Massachusetts, USA

Default Re: Comb too deep for eggs?

oh the hive is VERY light. I really suspect this is a replacement queen - they were without any signs of brood for at least 4-5 weeks. I'm feeding 2:1 and will be using a candy board with locally-bought pollen patties thrown into it... Overall I'm not hopefully for this group, but hey - they have a queen now. I guess that gives me a LITTLE more hope than I had two weeks ago