Default American Beekeeper in Canada

Hi All,

I'm a first-year beek. I got my first package of bees from NZ on April 1 of this year and just pulled the last of 40# of honey from the hive - leaving another 50# for my girls for the winter. The brood area is quite small now and in the center of the lower of two deeps. I placed the remaining 8 frames of honey on either side of them and above them in the second deep. There seem to be maybe 20,000 bees (a third of this year's peak) in there right now, and although they're still bringing in pollen, their activity is way down from summer. We have mild winters here just over the Washington State border. I plan to wrap the hive in tar paper, reduce the entrance, and leave some ventilation above to keep the hive dry. There's pollen in a lot of the cells, but should I toss in a pollen patty and maybe some extra food in a top feeder for the winter? I'm a nervous new papa!

Thanks!

Default Re: American Beekeeper in Canada

Welcome to Beesource!

Most pollen is consumed by nurse bees, in the process of producing royal jelly to feed brood. Honey/nectar is what mature bees consume the most of. As relatively little brood is raised in winter, pollen requirements are lower in the winter than in other seasons.

Pollen patties that aren't eaten quickly often become a haven for small hive beetles. Assuming SBH are in your area, consider waiting until it is closer to spring to add any patties.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Welcome!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome, people often put an absorbing material over the top deep . Its not much work for a hive or 2. I've used towels, shavings, straw even dry sugar absorbs good. Not sure if this is common in your area.
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!

Thank you, all...

Yes, we have beetles, mites and wasps (Oh my!). Pollen patties near spring, then. And I've seen towels and that construction felt flopped over some hives - now I know why!

Have you seen hive beetles in Vancouver hives?
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

When I picked through 500 abandoned hive boxes (in Langley) when I put together my second hand start-up hive, many bugs were pointed out to me. Wax moths, wasps, spiders, and beetles were common. I understand the implication of SHB being in Vancouver, so these could very well have been another type of beetle. Next time I'll take a camera.