Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OAV mite drop

Default Re: OAV mite drop

Quote Originally Posted by EVOstrowski View Post
    Don't mean to be a true rookie but what is OAV? I've been trying to find out about it but haven't had any luck.
    Do a search here on Beesource as there is a ton of information regarding OAV. It's an awesome tool in the fight against mites....
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox OA Vaporizer,
    "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

I don't want to say it's great or any thing but it sure did drop the VARROA for me and I have not lost any hives this year so I'm happy with it so far. We will see come spring . I have only tried fogging with FGMO before OAV and that didn't work now OAV did well you see the pics.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}

For what its worth…

I got an OA vaporizer last week. And tested it on a couple of dozen hives. Half had screened bottoms. All were treated with Apiguard last September. These hives were from the ‘dregs’ of last spring’s nucs. Each had had some sort of problem..typically queens…some supercedures, some ‘lost’ during mating and the like. I keep them in a yard where I can nurture them and by season’s end they had recovered, built and provisioned their nests and gone into cold weather with healthy clusters. My point is that when treated in September most had relatively low mite loads, in part from brood breaks and the like.

At day five, after OA the drops range from around thirty (pretty much what I’d hoped to see) to a couple of hundred mites dropped. There were actually four hives that dropped over a hundred. And those are only counting the hives with screened bottoms.

So…yeah….it knocks down mites and I’ll get into my other beeyards over the next couple of weeks and do them.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Glock, What is your plan for the hives that had the high mite loads next spring? Continue treating, new queen or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Danpa14 View Post
    Glock, What is your plan for the hives that had the high mite loads next spring? Continue treating, new queen or what?
    I wont speak for Glock, but any of my hives that wind up with persistent high varroa counts get re-queened with a VSH queen.
    Dan Boylan, When it doubt "It's mites".

The closest we get to a broodless period here in North Florida is right after Thanksgiving making it a good time for a dribble or OAV. The Maples have already started blooming now and the queens have really picked up the past two weeks.

I wonder if this just proves that even 3 treatments a week apart may not be good enough if you still have brood in the hive.

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    I wonder if this just proves that even 3 treatments a week apart may not be good enough if you still have brood in the hive.
    I have found that three treatments, five days apart, to be more effective when brood is present.

I plan on doing alcohol washes on all hives right before the main flow and see witch hives have high mite loads and treat the ones that need it. I plan on working with what I have and see witch hives are dealing with VARROA and go from there . I have 25 hives and some didn't not have high mite loads in the fall but all had mite. this is only the end of my 4th year and the bee yards are well stocked with healthy bees and lots of equipment now it's time to play. I am going to sale a few nucs this year and try to have 25 nucs by fall and run 7 production hive through the 2014 flow. I am going to test for hygiene and re queen all hives that need it all my hives are last year queens breed from my strongest hives so this coming year is going to be fun to keep good records so some day my queens will be worth selling and making nucs watching mite loads see witch hives build up fast and are making lots of honey and deal with VARROA all goals.
    My bees come from 2 different bee breeders that breed for VARROA resistance and every thing I have comes from over winter stock from my bee yards .

Quote Originally Posted by beekuk View Post
    I have found that three treatments, five days apart, to be more effective when brood is present.
    That makes good sense from what I've observed. The thing about OAV is that it doesn't seem to have much of an effect past the actual treatment - so any of the mites which are not actually phoretic and in the hive when you do the deed probably survive. But it works great during broodless periods especially.

That's why it is important to learn about when and how to use all of the options. To everything there is a season...
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Are you guys use just generic wood bleach or some other form of OA??

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    Are you guys use just generic wood bleach or some other form of OA??

Glock, you already talked me into using OA, and thank you sir! But capitalizing VARROA!!! In every use is like a visual punch in the mouth man!

What was the temperature when you did the fogging

Quote Originally Posted by Steves1967 View Post
    Glock, capitalizing VARROA!!! In every use is like a visual punch in the mouth man!
    Well it should be VARROA is a punch in a beekeepers mouth they are tough . I mean that in the nicest way

One post mentioned screened BB? do you normaly close those up or??

Yes, you close them up. Does not have to be perfect........ slide in some heavy duty aluminum foil (or flashing) and block entrance with old shirt, towel, whatever..........

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK View Post
    I got this mother-in-law that looks.........

Hi Gord, How much wintergreen do you add to the FGMO? and is this a liquid or another form ? Thanks for any help you can offer. I feel that FGMO and essential oils must be effective if the method and frequency is correct. Once a week by some accounts is not often enough? Cheers Chris Bright

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12