Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OAV mite drop

Default OAV mite drop

So I been treating my DBL.DEEPS with OAV since AUG. I had treated them 3 times by mid SEPT. so I decided to treat them one more time now that all the brood has hatched well I was shocked at how my mites dropped after I had treated 3 times already sure glad I did .

these are from 2 hives that I treated WED.

VARROA is just the worst. Plus I had fogged with FGMO from MAY till JULY. My hives had so many mites but I think i'm winning.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Default Re: OAV mite drop

Which means that FGMO doesn't do much for the mites.

Wow, that is amazing.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

Hi Glock
    Thanks for the update.

A few questions

Did you do a wash after the 3 OAV treatments to see how effective they were?
    Are you planning on doing one after this treatment to test this brood less treatment?

I too have treated with OAV and fogging with Thymol FGMO. So the info you share is extremely interesting to me. That OAV kills mites is clear, but this may perhaps show that 7 day cycle is not as effective as it needs to be. I have read that the phoretic stage of a female mite is between 4.5 and 11 days. Is this true? if so maybe treating twice a week would produce better results.

Thanks again.

Stephen

GLOCK - Thanks for continuing to report on your previous FGMO fogging and your continuing OAV treatments.

That is a huge mite drop considering that you had already treated the generally recommended 3 times. It would be interesting to see if you get a similar mite drop if you treat a 5th time.

Also, I wonder how frequently a person can treat a hive with oxalic acid before the OA starts to cause more harm than benefits to the hive.
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 14 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

I have read that the phoretic stage of a female mite is between 4.5 and 11 days.
    Stephen[/QUOTE]

When I fog with FGMO and wintergreen, I fog twice weekly.
    The once weekly thing seemed too long a time in between.

That's one hell of a pile of mites you got, Glock.
    Gonna give them some more OAV?
    You should post pictures of the same bottom boards after the next treatment.

Wow. Did you count em? What were your drop rates before and after vaporizing?

If you can wait until middle of winter you will kill nearly every mite since they are all phoretic. Its important to break up the winter cluster somewhat for vapor penetration, fan driven heat gun vaps are better at this than the glow plug style. I've never tried this, just from reading.

Right around Thanksgiving is a great time to do those final Oxalic Vapor Treatments. The hives are mostly broodless, there is no need to open the hive, you just slip the vaporizer in the front entrance and fog. Not opening the hives is a big advantage in fogging as it is almost effortless.

Larry
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Right around Thanksgiving is a great time to do those final Oxalic Vapor Treatments.

Larry
    That is what I had planed . I just got done doing 4 dbl. deeps and 6 dbl. nucs. I know the queens are slowing down laying eggs. I have 3 hives that did not drop any mites this year but the rest where mite bombs waiting to blow OAV has saved a few hives for me i'm sure . I guess I will see come spring. last year I did not treat and had 19 hives going in to winter and 10 left in the spring. This year I have 25 and all are healthy and heavy last year I was not as smart as I am this year I will post some more pics in a day or 2
    It takes a couple of days before the mites really start falling. I think OAV is worth checking out.

Glock
    You have motivated me to hit the hives with another round of OAV today. Thank you very much for sharing your findings and insight, in sharing you have provided a valuable service to us all.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Right around Thanksgiving is a great time to do those final Oxalic Vapor Treatments. The hives are mostly broodless, there is no need to open the hive, you just slip the vaporizer in the front entrance and fog. Not opening the hives is a big advantage in fogging as it is almost effortless.

Larry
    I got a vaporizer and experienced local beeks said to treat in dec.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenpbird View Post
    Hi Glock
    Thanks for the update.

A few questions

Did you do a wash after the 3 OAV treatments to see how effective they were?
    Are you planning on doing one after this treatment to test this brood less treatment?

I too have treated with OAV and fogging with Thymol FGMO. So the info you share is extremely interesting to me. That OAV kills mites is clear, but this may perhaps show that 7 day cycle is not as effective as it needs to be. I have read that the phoretic stage of a female mite is between 4.5 and 11 days. Is this true? if so maybe treating twice a week would produce better results.

Thanks again.

Stephen
    I do not want to dig into the hives any more this year so the A.WASH is out plus the why I see it it is what it is it don't matter what the counts are now the only thing I can really do is what i'm doing .
    I do not have DWV or any virus at all and every hive seems healthy and queen right as of 2 week ago.
    As far as treating go's I'D say watch your mite louds and treat as needed and at the end of the year treat when your brood less the only reason my VARROA loads where high is because I was trying Fogging with FGMO and the mite where building even with fogging but I did alcohol washes in mid JULY and started OAV by AUG. and been dropping mites ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by WBVC View Post
    I got a vaporizer and experienced local beeks said to treat in dec.
    Over winter do one treatment when your colonies are broodless, usually some time between Thanksgiving & Christmas. This knocks out most of the phoretic mites before the queen starts laying again.
    To everything there is a season....

Is there a minimum daytime high temperature required to treat with OAV? 50*F for the cluster to break? Higher? Lower?
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 14 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

For a single winter treatment when the colony is broodless try to wait for a warm spell. If the bees are out flying and taking cleansing flights the cluster is loose and you will get the best coverage. 50 deg F, plus or minus, is probably a good target temperature. If you vaporize when the cluster is tight it might not cover all the bees and would be less effective.
    To everything there is a season....

Hi,

I did 3 OAV rounds in September being broodless on the last 2. I had mites falling after each one of them(~30/day). I'm quite sure that OAV doesn't kill all mites and therefore needs to be repeated(how often I don't know). It very much depends on the way it spreads inside the hive and if the bees are tightly clustered we have a problem.
    It would probably be a good idea to force the vapors into the hive with a low speed fan(how about an air compressor?).

Cristian

Nice pile

Don't mean to be a true rookie but what is OAV? I've been trying to find out about it but haven't had any luck.

Oxalic Acid Vaporization
    Dan Boylan, At it since 2007 in Pa Zone 6B, 13 hives, 7 nucs, treat when needed.

Wow Glock, when you bought your OA, the brand wasn't called "Placebo brand, Immitation OA" was it? Hard to believe your treatments are being effective.
    Too bad there isn't a market for MITES! HA! You'd be in

I guess what I want to know is, did you moniter your mite drop Before treatment? If so, do you see a significant increase in drop after treatment? If you did not do a drop count before treatment, how do you know your method or dosage is correct and effective? The drop you see could be a natural drop as brood rearing is decreased.

Thanks for the updates.
    Last edited by Lauri; 12-22-2013 at 09:51 AM.