Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

It comes around...(a must read)

8K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  Oldtimer 
#1 ·
So.... yesterday, I noticed a woman with her car hood up next to me at a gas station. It looked as if she was searching for something quite intently. After I filled up, I felt compelled to assist if I could. Turns out, that she was having trouble locating her power steering fill cap. She explained to me she needed to add fluid because it was whining when she turned... smart lady.
I took the time to help her fill the pump to the right level and she was on her way with a very nice "thank you".

A few minutes later, I stopped to grab a burger and a drink for lunch. (Looking for the fill cap really made me hungry apparently. lol)
Yet another overwhelming urge came over me and I handed the register attendant a sum of money to pay for a few meals behind me in line. I am not rich in a monetary sense by any stretch of the imagination, but I am rich in other ways.

Fast forward to last night. I received a random email from a very nice lady who wanted to make a donation of some bee equipment. I picked up a power extractor, uncapping knife, smoker, woodenware, frames, feeders, etc. I figure there is enough there to outfit 8-9 hives. I offered many time to purchase the equipment, but I was shut down abruptly each time.

One random act of kidness sometimes will "come around" when you least expect it.
Thanks so much for the donation, mystery donor.

Just thought you should know.

See less See more
#2 ·
I get those too. I've always believed that general generosity towards others will always come back ten fold.

When I was getting started in beekeeping, I did my first ever removal job for free, including crude repairs. All I wanted was the experience, and the bees of course were a nice bonus. But it was for a very hard up family, and I know there is no way they could have paid if they wanted to. They were very pleased to watch the work from the safety of the house, and of course I gave them some honey.

After doing the work, which took several trips for me to complete, I was starting to realize I had lost money on the whole project. However, only a few weeks later I had a guy call me about my Craigslist ad for bee removal. He had two full strength Langstroth colonies that he couldn't keep up with, and he just wanted them to go to a good home, rather than turn feral. He gave me both, free of charge! He had never harvest honey, so I got about 75lbs of honey in addition to the two hives.

This was a HUGE help to me getting started out. I told him if he ever gets back into beekeeping to let me know, and I'll gladly give him a hive to get started back up. Good people do still exist!

#3 ·
Thank you for sharing, some call it karma, I simply call it " the wheel " what you put on it comes around and delivers it back to you. After not seeing a sister for several years she said, you have changed so much, you are really a nice guy, you must have " got religion " I replied with "no I just rediscovered the wheel and I don't want to put crap on it and have it slung back in my face anymore." Getting the nice stuff delivered is so much better and makes you feel so good. Thanks again for sharing maybe if others will share their good experiences we can help others to discover the wheel.

#4 ·
This is great. Cannot be explained any better. We have all probably been the reciepient of some sort of random act of kindness, and have dispensed some ourselves if we have been around any time at all. I'll always remember your wheel analogy. It is certainly a universal truth in my opinion that the giver of a gift receives as much or more happiness from the exchange than the receiver. I guess we all need to pay it forward more than we do sometimes. Thanks for the post.

#14 ·
No, you just have to have faith that the good heartedness that went into your act of giving has been of benefit to the world. As a meditation teacher once said "Karma is inscrutable." You can't expect to trace the outcome. Bad things do happen to good people, but more good things are likely to happen if good has been put into the world.

#15 ·
Straight up, many of the generous things I've done have never been repaid (directly), although I do believe that one way or another what goes around comes around, perhaps in some totally different way.

I read a newspaper article that generous people live longer, and it was also said that when a person reaches the end of their life and is waiting on their death bed to pass into the next life, they don't spend their last moments wishing they had been less generous in this one.

#18 ·
The Prophets being Jewish in origin.

It comes from Confucius too. A variation of the phrase can be found in many places. It's the thought that counts.

Levitucus 19:18 Love your neighbor as yourself. As found in a Wikipedia search.

For us to do this we have to see others as we do ourselves. Recognizing and affirming "the inherent worth and dignity of every person". The First UU Principle.

#27 ·
I have tended bees for these Catholic Nuns for 3 years now, they are very happy because they don't have to buy sugar anymore. Last month I found out that for Christmas I will receive a oil painting of the Blessed Virgin, hand painted by one of the Sisters in their Order. I never expected anything from them but a smile. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.