Question Mite monitoring schedule

Hi , I am testing my bees about once a month from may until september for mite levels and not every hive , but random hives in each bee yard .

Is testing once a month too many times ? or not enough ?

Thanks
    Ben
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

Default Re: Mite monitoring schedule

The main question would be why are you testing and what are you doing with the results? Are you trying to map the varroa numbers to the performance of your hives (even winter survival)? See what the varroa numbers are through the year?

If your reasons for testing are along the reasons mentioned above, you are right on target.

If, on the other hand, you are trying to see when to treat, then maybe you are overdoing it. Check out the scientific beekeeping website for some research (and graphs) that map varroa population with the buildup of the hive. Those should match pretty close with your own findings.

Quote Originally Posted by merince View Post
    Check out the scientific beekeeping website for some research (and graphs) that map varroa population with the buildup of the hive. Those should match pretty close with your own findings.
    Lots of good stuff there. Basically from what i've seen you need to sample as much as possible to gain confidence in your decision. Some hives will be high others will not. Some days you'll get hi counts others you won't. The varrao count should also be relative to the mass of bees. ie 20 mites/ 20,000 bees / day...something like that.

Here is the data from 6 hives the past 2 months, counted via sticky board #1 is my buddies Italian Hive from Kelley's, not looking good...but they are stong plenty of honey. The other hives are feral black queens from the area.

The time for me to be testing my VARROA levels is mid. JULY . and I usually start treating in AUG. and if i'm treating I don't test any more but I can tell how things are going by the mite drop after treating.
    I say test all your hives. Good luck VARROA suck hemolymph!!
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

I'm sorry, but I just don't "get it." I see mites, I treat. It's that simple. I don't test to see how many. How many ticks do you allow on your pets before you treat? There is really no acceptable level of mites in a hive. All they do is spread viruses, bread more mites and suck the life out of your bees. Mostly, I just open drone brood. If I see mites, the hive is treated.

I've lost hives hives slimed by SHB. I lost hives to starvation (honey was there, but the bees did not move to it)..... but I've not lost hives to mites in the last three years following this protocol.

It just works for me.
    Last edited by snl; 10-18-2013 at 06:40 AM.
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

Burns375,

interesting graph. Thank you for sharing!