Default Hive Weight going in.

First year here and just looking for some advice, will probably feed some kind of supplement regardless, but just curious how much should my hive weigh going into a Virginia winter. One single deep, solid bottom board and one double deep, solid bottom board. Thanks for any suggestions.

Default Re: Hive Weight going in.

Maybe its a dumb question, but Im new to this. I would sure appreciate some suggestions... It is getting colder here and the flow is gone. thanks. G

Depends on quite a few factors. At a minimum frames of bees should equal frames of honey, ideally 2-3x honey.

Assuming the boxes are mostly filled out. Double deeps 50-100, single deeps 25-50. Nucs 12-25. Deep frame is about 5-6lbs honey.

Hope that helps. This information can be easily found via search.

Thanks Burns, I have no luck searching, Im sure its a tired subject, spoken on over and over. But thanks for your advice, my single is at least 60, so I guess Im good. I will weigh the double tommorrow. Thanks again.

i'm a little south of you, but on a ridgetop at about 1400' asl. i have had single deeps with only 6-7 frames in them make it through winter, but had to give them sugar patties in february.

i agree with 375, if your single has the outer 2-3 frames on both sides full or almost full of honey they should be alright.

if the second box in your double is full of honey, with more on the outside frames in the bottom box you're in great shape, and you may be able to donate a frame or two to the single if needed in late winter.

by weighing them now, you can reweigh in jan-feb and compare to give you an idea as to how much has been used.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I started weighing mine this year, pretty suprised by some of the results.

Keep in mind if you weigh from the back the moment arm of the landing board to the ground support should be compensated for. If the landing board is 3" long to ground pivot then multiple mass by 1.76x not 2. Side to side measuments do not require adjustments assumming the honey is equally distributed from side to side ie center of mass is cented within box.

Also consider there are 3-25lbs of bee mass.

Here are some weights I came up with.

Item lb
    SBB + Reducer 4.5
    Inner Cover 2.5
    Plastic Top Cover 5.8
    Deep Box 7.3
    Shallow Box 4.0
    Deep Frame 0.8
    Shallow Frame 0.6

Equipment Mass
    1 Deep 28.4
    2 Deep 44.1
    1 Deep 1 Shallow 37.5
    2 Deep 1 Shallow 53.2
    2 Deep 2 Shallow 62.3

Thanks guys, the figures will be very helpful. Thanks again.

A little bit late, but this post and this one might help you out, too. Gives weights and frame counts .

Think of it this way...

The lightest double deep with bees I have ever weighed, was 70lb. The lightest double deep and a medium was 85lb. In each case the outer cover was removed.

Add to that number how much honey your bees require for your area, and feed to that weight.