Default New Diy observation hive with part of a late season swarm.

1390547_10202051546151524_525739542_n.jpg1392575_10202051545951519_1031640122_n.jpg
    Well long story short i collected a very late season swarm in michigan 2 weeks ago. The bees all took off from the hive i put them in. After a week there was still a sizable amount of bees on the ground where i collected the swarm so i gathered them and brought them home. The next day i put together an OH and added the bees after 2 days of not seeing a queen i had a carniolan queen shipped in from cali. She was introduced a few days ago and was released from her cage early this morning. The bees have been drawing out comb like mad since the queen was introduced i can see progress every time i look at the hive. only thing that has changed since the bees were introduced is the first half drawn out frame was replaced with a new foundation. It was way off center and the bees began building it into the glass. Im waiting to start seeing eggs and capped brood this next week!
    Last edited by teatimetony; 10-12-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Default Re: New Diy observation hive with part of a late season swarm.

1395256_10202063660094365_1839992630_n.jpg This is the hive and girls as of today.

Looks good !!

I jealous! I wanted an OH inside my house during the winter, but the hubby said No. But in Virginia, my outdoor top bar hive will be busy as it stays pretty warm during the winter months.

Just curious, will you allow your bees cleansing flights outdoors during the colder months? I didn't see any sort of tubing to let them climb out of the hive. Is it possible to keep the bees confined the entire time? I might have garnered a Yes for my inside hive had it not required modifications to our bathroom window.

I actually let them out today. It was the first time since the queen was introduced and it was only in the mid 60s so i figured it would be a good day for cleansing and cleaning dead bees from the hive. As my luck goes the hive was robbed while outside another 30 or so bees died in an already small colony. There is still a good cluster over the comb with eggs and the queen is ok. They are all back inside now I think i might do the rest of there cleansing flights in a green house.
    1377031_10202085471679641_1951522985_n.jpg

Im having some problems with moisture. I just got back from a weekend away and the hive had become very humid. The feeder has been removed and the bottom board cleaned to help it along. Is this a sign of poor ventilation or because the colony took such a hit it cant keep airflow up?

Looking for some pointers for what to do.
    -More ventilation holes?
    -Screened bottom board?
    -Reduce feeding to and hour or 2 a day? (I think this has a big impact on moisture)