Default The Girls are Getting Ready for Winter

I was at a conference all of last week and while I was gone the temperature dropped and it rained consistently. As I have six entrances on my hive, three along the bottom and three along the top, I figured that I would probably want to close up the top entrances when I got home. Looks like I won't have to. When I went outside last night I observed that the girls are in the process of closing up the top holes for me. Very considerate. I have two hives and both are in the process of being closed up.

Winterizing.jpg

By the way, the white contraption at the bottom of the inset photo is the top of my feeder - it just slides onto the landing board. There is a small garbage can with syrup that is suspended below that can be quickly swapped out or refilled.

Default Re: The Girls are Getting Ready for Winter

Same here. My strong hives close the inner cover hole on lang hives. My belief the inner cover hole is not necessary with SBB except during flow and hot summers. There is enough air circulation to prevent condensation if insulated properly. In winter i insulate tops to prevent condensation dripping, no top vent.

I would put cork or wood in the holes for added insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by burns375 View Post
    In winter i insulate tops to prevent condensation dripping, no top vent.
    I had intended on plugging the holes but with the bees going ahead and closing them up, I will probably leave them alone (aside from putting mouse screens on them. I may put a sheet of foam insulation on top of the bars. I will probably lift a bar towards the front and put a twig smaller than a beespace under it to help prevent condensation. One of my two top bar hives has a screened hole at the back at the bottom. I am interested to see of that has any impact on airflow and condensation. I suspect that the bees will just plug it up.

I live in Florida. What is winter?
    www.savebeesflorida.com (Honeybee removals and top bar hives)

Quote Originally Posted by PatBeek View Post
    I live in Florida. What is winter?
    Zone4A
    “We can love completely what we cannot completely understand.” -Maclean

My arm is getting tired just watching that dude.

Too funny.

I'm sorry.

But I got to thinking today, since we don't have much of any winter, we get clobbered with SHB and wax moths more than you guys. However, if the hive is strong, those problems aren't too big.
    www.savebeesflorida.com (Honeybee removals and top bar hives)

Too funny.

I'm sorry.

But I got to thinking today, since we don't have much of any winter, we get clobbered with SHB and wax moths more than you guys. However, if the hive is strong, those problems aren't too big.
    ha! you've nothing to be sorry for

i thought the snowball .gif was funny....

here in sunny montana

NOT!
    Zone4A
    “We can love completely what we cannot completely understand.” -Maclean

we get clobbered with SHB and wax moths more than you guys. However, if the hive is strong, those problems aren't too big.
    Actually when I did this last inspection I saw a big increase in SHB. As the temperature has dropped and the girls have begun to cluster the SHB seem to have been able to gain some traction. I will inspect it tomorrow to see what the status is. I am going to make a little compressed air vacuum tomorrow morning so I can quickly (hopefully) suck up the little guys. Smashing them all is super timeconsuming and isn't totally effective. If it works I will post pictures and plans.

Too funny.

I'm sorry.

Winter for BEEKS is not all bad. Once you prep the hive you can leave the girls alone for 2-3 months. Your climate presents a different set of challenges.

Phil