Default Sources for DIY extractor barrel

I'm having trouble finding a plastic container big enough to make an extractor with. Any ideas on sources? Does it need to be food safe if I don't store honey in it? Could you use a new plastic trash can?

Default Re: Sources for DIY extractor barrel

Around here I see large blue barrels being offered by "parking lot vendors" and also on Craigslist. A common use for these is rain barrels. I personally would have no problems using a new plastic garbage can for an extractor.

Note that Sterlite, for one, says that all their plastic products are made with "food safe" materials. I know they make smaller garbage cans, but I have not seen large ones from Sterlite.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Thanks Radar!

I paid $25 for a used foodsafe barrel from craig's list, to make an extractor.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/MichaelJ...39800159611954

Also, at winemaking supply shops, they sell extra large, food safe, plastic garbage cans for fermentors.

Like radar said on craigslist there is a guy around me who sells used food stuff containers. Barrels, squares, etc. Some are stained with brine or what not. I never bought from him, prices a little too high. My local kroger gives me their used (once) icing buckets 1.5-5 gallon for free for honey storage and meede making, syrup, etc

The big "BRUTE" trash cans (the gray ones) from Lowes are food grade plastic

Quote Originally Posted by frankthomas View Post
    Thanks Radar!
    That's RadEr.

Acebird has one already built if you want it. He says he is going to crush and strain next year anyway.

How are you going to get your honey out of your trash can extractor? I think that Bee Supply Companies sell parts to put a honey gate on a bucket. That would probably work for your trash can.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Honey gate works fine on plastic 55gal barrels also.

To get honey out of the trash can I was thinking of setting it up on a stand. A simple hole at the bottom that would allow the honey to flow directly into a storage pail below the hole.

Does that sound good?

To get honey out of the trash can I was thinking of setting it up on a stand. A simple hole at the bottom that would allow the honey to flow directly into a storage pail below the hole.

Does that sound good?
    Not to me. You'll end up with a mess. Cork it when the bucket gets too full?
    I use this one: http://www.dadant.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=381

I got a 55 gallon blue drum that had soy sauce in it. The urban farmer here gets and resales them for 20. I'm sure he got it from a oriental restaurant. I get 5 gal buckets from Saito's for free, that's how they get their soy. They clean up nice. Even though they are food grade I would prefer new for honey because the plastic holds the smell of the previous product. I plant in them so I don't really care but it might b.o. the honey.

Gene

Does that sound good?
    What I did was drill a hole at the very bottom on the side (just the right size)...then I screwed a 1 1/4" PVC male adapter directly into the hole....this allows me to stick a PVC plug into the adapter which holds the honey in....when the extractor is sitting on it's stand, simply pull the plug out and the honey flows out of the can and into the filter bucket below...when the strainer starts to back up just pop the plug back in and the flow stops.

I am on the same page. I found that the feed store down the highway had ‘new food grade barrels’ for water saving from gutters for $15. Thinking of making the insides out of white oak and hemlock (woodworker not metal worker here).
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

You can cut the bottom off a 5 gal bucket and place it inside another one to make it taller. Just don't fill it past the bottom bucket.