Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quilt Box?

Default Re: Quilt Box?

Quote Originally Posted by Just Krispy View Post
    Inner cover goes on top of quilt box. If its under, it blocks the benefit of the quilt box. Moisture gets trapped under the inner cover.
    Oh. That may be why they said in bee club: don't use an inner cover with a quilt box.

I put my inner cover under the quilt box so I could put winter food in there, but if you think the inner cover itself will trap and drip condensation, then I'll remove the inner cover altogether, and just put feed directly on top of the frames, with a shim to space.

Doesn't seem much good in putting an inner cover *over* the quilt box, bees can't get to it thru the shavings.

So to summarize, what's the verdict: inner cover or no inner cover with a quilt box, and if so, where?

Quote Originally Posted by NewbeeInNH View Post

I put my inner cover under the quilt box so I could put winter food in there, [snip]
    ....and therein lies the crux of my problem. Where do you top feed when using a QB?

Put a spacer under the quilt box to make room for food. I recessed the screen in my quilt boxes to make room for sugar bricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Krispy View Post
    Put a spacer under the quilt box to make room for food. I recessed the screen in my quilt boxes to make room for sugar bricks.
    And then feed directly on the frames?