Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quilt Box?

Default Re: Quilt Box?

SunnyR2000:

Those are some great ideas. My only concern would be the straw bales close to the hives. Here, in NW Ohio, those are often used in the same manner to insulate well housings and some times mobile homes. The issue is that they also become rodent city. You mentioned you already have mouse guards on the bottom - make sure you have them on the top, too.

Mouse damage is not pretty (and I hate the little rascals, too).

Anyone see any downside to using regular window screen across the bottom of the box instead of coarser harware cloth? There'd be no concern of the insulating material getting in to the hive.

Quote Originally Posted by frankthomas View Post
    Anyone see any downside to using regular window screen across the bottom of the box instead of coarser harware cloth? There'd be no concern of the insulating material getting in to the hive.
    That's what I did, seems to be working.

Quote Originally Posted by merince View Post
    SunnyR2000:

Those are some great ideas. My only concern would be the straw bales close to the hives. Here, in NW Ohio, those are often used in the same manner to insulate well housings and some times mobile homes. The issue is that they also become rodent city. You mentioned you already have mouse guards on the bottom - make sure you have them on the top, too.

Mouse damage is not pretty (and I hate the little rascals, too).
    Agreed. Hopefully, the electric poultry net fence along with placing the straw on movable pallets will help keep the mice at bay. Thought having a wind block was worth then risk?

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyR2000 View Post
    Agreed. Hopefully, the electric poultry net fence along with placing the straw on movable pallets will help keep the mice at bay. Thought having a wind block was worth then risk?
    Let us know if you had any mouse damage in the spring. Sounds like you have it covered, though.

Another option for wind block besides straw bales is a piece of insulation board vertically behind the hives. I'm going to try to do that this year - Just prop them in with posts, set back a foot from the hives for air circulation.

Cascade Hunter - Vivaldi boards are not very common in most regions of the country. East of the Pacific Northwest and I would venture to guess very few have ever heard of them. I have only ever seen one bee supply house that even sells them - and it is up in Oregon. The Warre style quilt is most everyone's introduction to this idea.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbeeInNH View Post
    Metropropolis, that was about the best step by step with photos I've seen. I also like your idea of storing the entrance reducer in there.
    Well thank you! There are a few more on my site, and more in the pipe: members.shaw.ca/metropropolis/‎

I was concerned the bees might chew thru aluminum screening, so I opted for the hardware cloth but it's closer to 1/4 than 1/8 so we'll see how that goes. Might need a lining cloth/pillow case. I don't think you'd need a cross bar with hardware cloth tho.

You make a good point. I used #8 Hardware Cloth myself, and my suggesting Aluminum screen as an alternative was unhelpful. I'll have to revise that.

In regards to the crossbar.... My initial versions lacked a crossbar, and I found that the screen was being attached to the top bars, which put stress on the staples when lifting the quilt off.

The crossbar gives extra support to the screen, but repositioning inwards draws the screen taut, keeping it off of the top of frames, and allowing the bees a little space to move as well.
    Last edited by Metropropolis; 10-17-2013 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cascade Hunter View Post
    Why not use a standard Vivaldi ventilation board and fill with shavings or burlap? Isn't that the same as a quilt box?
    The Vivaldi looks like a good product. It is just one of the many variations of quilt.

It may not be readily available to some, or some may feel they can build better and/or cheaper.

If you prefer to buy rather than build, the Vivaldi looks perfectly fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Metropropolis View Post
    In regards to the crossbar.... My initial versions lacked a crossbar, and I found that the screen was being attached to the top bars, which put stress on the staples when lifting the quilt off.
    Aha. Good to know.

I built 3 of these just wondering bees, quilt box, inner cover, tele cover in that order. Is this right ? Also have made entrance reducers for 1 bee width is this correct or do I need wider than 1 bee width ? Quilt boxes have 4 1 Inch screened holes is this enough ventilation or should I put more ? Get's mighty cold here in winter hope to get the girls through. Also going to wrap with 15 lb felt. Any tips would bee appreciated. I know there are people on here that live in my state maybe you could chime in.

No, I believe you put the inner cover *under* the quilt box, just the telescoping cover on top of the quilt box. The bees will not be going up into the quilt box, so the upper entrance of the inner cover they won't be able to reach. Does that make sense?

Some don't use an inner cover at all with the quilt box. I guess they just put a shim up there or something for an upper entrance. I'm going to use the inner cover for the upper entrance, and keep the winter food in there I think.

Also not going to bother with ventilation holes. They should get that from the upper and lower entrances, and it would just given an opportunity to absorb outside moisture into the hive *in my opinion*. If it's filled with shavings, I don't see how a ventilation hole will provide much ventilation.

I put mine above the inner cover. My first ones had no vent holes either. My latest ones do have them. Not sure how much difference it makes. I added them mostly for hot weather venting, since the quilts are on year round for my hives.

I plan to put cedar shavings on screen on top. Do I need some type of cloth between chips and screen to keep smaller pieces from falling into hive?

imkerwannabee

Experienced beeks have told me no, just shake the shavings box a little before putting it on, and if some shavings do fall thru, it's okay.

I have the inner cover under my quilt box so a lot of excess shavings would end up there, altho I imagine the bees would try to take that out of the hive.

But this is my first winter with quilt boxes, so that's all I know.

Experienced beeks have told me no, just shake the shavings box a little before putting it on, and if some shavings do fall thru, it's okay.

I have the inner cover under my quilt box so a lot of excess shavings would end up there, altho I imagine the bees would try to take that out of the hive.
    I had some 3/4 inch mesh screen on hand, so used it and added a rectagular piece of burlap on top of the screen to contain the shavings.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Thanks NewBeeInNH and mgolden. I'll put some kind of cloth down before adding the shavings.

imkerwannabee

Resurrecting this thread with another rookie question. How are you winter feeding with a quilt box installed. Are you putting fondant directly on the frames, than a spacer and than the QB?

I put mine over the empty super containing the candy or fondant. I also fill the empty space in the super with pieces of burlap.

Inner cover goes on top of quilt box. If its under, it blocks the benefit of the quilt box. Moisture gets trapped under the inner cover.