So in my quest to provide the best winter experience possible for my bees here in SW CO, I ran into the idea of a quilt box. Has anyone tried them? Good, bad, indifferent? They are used to suck up moisture in the hives during the winter.
I have moisture boards - good or bad idea?
Talk to me, peeps!
On the winter thread, we get a lot of snow at times and very cold weather. Winters here last from October (we had a snow storm yesterday!) to mid-April.
My plan for addressing moisture/ cold:
* Moisture board above inner cover
* Quilt box?
* No opening the deeps until Spring - keep propolis in order.
* Tar paper around hives
* Two entrances - upper and lower
* Custom bottom boards to close up the SBB
* Wall of straw on pallets a couple feet from the hives on wind exposure sides
* pray and hope they make it