Default anxious about OA vaporizing

dont't seem right sticking that very hot pot in the hive...who came up with that method? That's my task for today....is it best to gas them in the late so that most will have returned?

Default Re: anxious about OA vaporizing

I just got done with my 4th OAV treatment. I had the same worries as you sticking the hot pot into the hive. So much so that I used some #8 hardware cloth to make a cage aound the pot. It turns out that the cage was making the problem worse. The OA was crystaling on the screen and it was actually trapping the bees that found a way inside.
    Now, I just put the pot into the hive without any protection. Occasionally, I get a dead bee on the pot but for the most part, there aren't any.
    I suspect when the pot begins to heat up and smoke, the bees head in the opposite direction.
    Good luck!

If vaporizing makes you anxious don't ever try a OA dribble. This stuff bothers people more then the bee's

Almost anything that works kills more bees - at least among the naturally occurring mitacides. Synthetics may not kill any bees at all as far as I know.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    If vaporizing makes you anxious don't ever try a OA dribble. This stuff bothers people more then the bee's
    I confess I don't understand this post. I've used OA dribble for a number of years and find nothing complicated or off-putting about it. Maybe if you're foolish enough to mix it up using steaming hot water, then you might breathe vapors and that would be bad, but otherwise it is a very mild liquid to handle. (And you are not supposed to use steaming hot water to mix it, obviously!) Use a syringe to squirt it and it's a very quick and easy treatment to do.

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

Quote Originally Posted by oldforte View Post
    ... is it best to gas them in the late so that most will have returned?
    You want to vaporize when all the bees are in the boxes. I think the best time would be very early morning. Go to your yard just before it gets light out. If you only have a few colonies to treat then seal off all the entrances before the bees start flying so you have them all trapped inside. Then treat them one at a time until you are done. As you work through them the sun is coming up and you have light to see what you are doing.

You could also do this late in the day if you choose, but you will probably be fighting with bearding bees or stragglers that continue to show up at dusk. And then you end up working in the dark trying to finish up.
    To everything there is a season....

The dribble is much safer for the beekeeper than vapors.

That's kinda' true, but you can see the vaporized OA and easily stay away from it. You can also use a long cable and get well back from it before you turn it on. Burning trash with plastic in it is probably at least as hazardous.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Quote Originally Posted by RAK View Post
    The dribble is much safer for the beekeeper than vapors.
    That's true if you stand in the way of the vapors (foolish to do). I put a smoker out and whatever way the smoke is blowing, I stand opposite. Also as David has said, a long cord/cable also puts you out of harms way. What I like about the vaporization is there no opening of the hive, esp when they are clustered.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox OA Vaporizer,
    "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

OA is a very effective treatment, especially this time of year. I'm not sure about SNK's pot in the hive. I bought mine from a guy in BC Canada. He has no visa payment so you have to send a check.
    I pull out my bottom board and vaporize under the screen. You don't need much and you only need to do it once a week for 3 weeks. Then one to 3 times in the spring. You'll see hundreds dead on your bb.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Hills Farm View Post
    I confess I don't understand this post. I've used OA dribble for a number of years and find nothing complicated or off-putting about it. Maybe if you're foolish enough to mix it up using steaming hot water, then you might breathe vapors and that would be bad, but otherwise it is a very mild liquid to handle. (And you are not supposed to use steaming hot water to mix it, obviously!) Use a syringe to squirt it and it's a very quick and easy treatment to do.

Rusty
    I was being alittle sarcastic. Subliminating never bothered me but the first time I used a dribble even though I had read, reread and asked a ton of questions, wetting them down in Nov made me abit anxious. Trust me I'm way over that now

No problem Danno. I never heard of using a pot with steam. My vaporizor heats the OA and vaporizes without water. I wear a respirator.

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    That's true if you stand in the way of the vapors (foolish to do). I put a smoker out and whatever way the smoke is blowing, I stand opposite. Also as David has said, a long cord/cable also puts you out of harms way. What I like about the vaporization is there no opening of the hive, esp when they are clustered.
    I wonder which would be more dangerous - sucking in a snootfull of OA or one of Lysol? No one worries about that though. You just get out of the way and avoid it until it disapates. It's really almost a non-issue in practice.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

David, I am the supply person for a huge custodial department. and actually we will not allow our employees to have bleach or ammonia, not even ammonia based products for that very reason. We have recently gone to not even allowing scented products. I consider that overkill but times are what they are.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

...the first time I used a dribble even though I had read, reread and asked a ton of questions, wetting them down in Nov made me abit anxious....
    I can understand that. I'm from Alabama and I still take great pains when I do my end-of-season dribble for just that reason. I can only imagine how careful you have to be in Michigan!

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

What worries me with a Varrox vaporizer (which I have not yet used) is the instructions that say that the metalic part should be inside the hive but at least 0.8 inches away from bees or wax. Bees can move, but the frames cannot. What if the wax in the bottom of the frame melts? Maybe this is not an issue. What is your experience? Thanks a lot,
    Stavros

I use the Heilyser vaporizer and wax does drip into it sometimes but the wax just turns black and bubbles a little bit, just enough to make a small mess that I have to clean out. One does need to make sure that the OA pan is not up against the frames due to the weight of the power cord.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio Zone 6A

Quote Originally Posted by stavros View Post
    What worries me with a Varrox vaporizer is the instructions that say that the metallic part should be inside the hive but at least 0.8 inches away from bees or wax. Bees can move, but the frames cannot. What if the wax in the bottom of the frame melts? Maybe this is not an issue. What is your experience?
    Stavros
    Have not found that t/b a problem. Just don't let the end of the vaporizer sticking out of the hive droop down so the actual vaporizer in the hive is pushed up against the bottom of the frames. Just keep the vaporizer level.

Varrox vaporizer, expensive but very nice............
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox OA Vaporizer,
    "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Experiment before you use it. Fill it with OA and plug it in out of the hive. Stand up wind! Watch your watch and count seconds for the sublimination to stop. Now you know just how long it takes. You can now see what will happen to debree that falls in or touches the pan during the burn. Set a small pc of wood on the pan and plug it in for the required seconds you determined earlier. Throw a few dead bee's in the pan or maybe a small pc of bees wax.
    Last edited by danno; 10-23-2013 at 07:44 AM.