Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb what's your worst bee sting experience?

I was regrouping my colonies today behind the new wind fence I built, as I was carrying a deep super full of honey I was stung on the inner forearm through the vented portion of my glove... I had no choice but to continue walking as putting the hive down in the cold wet grass wasn't even an option. I'm guessing the stinger was pumping venom for about 15-20 seconds. My forearm & wrist are in severe pain & feel extremely tight from swelling. I hope this goes away soon, it's never been this bad & I've been stung many times before. What's your worst sting story?

Default Re: what's your worst bee sting experience?

I got it on the ear one time and man did it look funny and hart it was a bad one.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

My first and worst sting was on the chin. I got a massive double chin; by looking at my head, you'd think I had gained a hundred pounds.

Both of mine were as a kid. Walking outside and something flew into my ear. Instinctively I stuck my finger in there. Sting! Right inside the ear.
    The 2nd one I was maybe 12 helping my uncle relocate hives at night. I was wearing white tennis shoes with black fuzzy socks pulled up over my pant legs. Suddenly both ankles were.being stung by multiple bees whose legs were sticking to my socks.

I'm lucky though because I dont remember any serious reactions.

I'm a first year beekeeper with two hives. An a lark, I decided to go to North Dakota for two months where I worked on a commercial operation pulling and extracting 5000 hives. I must have had literally a million bees in the air at any given time. I got stung a few times, I had a great time, I came home.

Going out to feed my two hives at home, a few days after extracting them, I figured I didn't need my boots and went out in normal shoes. My ankles were showing. As I opened the hive I. WAS. SWARMED...in the ankles. I was stung about 15-20 times as I tried to swat them away and walk away. I got my boots and went back. As I finished feeding and closing up the hive, the bees found a 1/4 inch opening between my zippers to my hood (which was never a problem in nd) and about 10 got in and started letting me know how angry they were.

By the time I was done I had another 5 stings on my chin and lip. Everything swelled for 2-3 days and the lymphs in my groin got painful and tender (from the ankle stings) for a day or two. All in all, it was a bad time.

In nd, I had some Texas bees we dealt with that were MEAN. Only got stung once or twice. I think this hive's just angry it's winter and their honey's gone.

Worst sting was last year on the head resulting in full body hives within an hour and a ride to the ER.

Just purchased a new riding lawn mower. Having a great time using new mower. Thought I would make a quick dash with the mower in front of two hives to cut the grass. It was a hot day. Honeybees were out hanging, Bearding in groups from the landing board toward the ground. "I am just going to slip the edge of the mower deck right between them and the ground". Yea right. I hit a small chunk of firewood about 1-1/2"x 3" x 3". The mower stopped with the engine exhaust pouring the last little bit of exhaust fumes into the hive. TICKED OFF TWO HIVES.
    Started engine while getting hammered by the hives. the lawn mower went one way I went the other. cleaned up stingers for quite a while. Bottoms of feet and palms of hands itched for about 15 minutes. I never received any stings there but they were thick in my hair. Moral to my story: mow around hives with equipment EARLY in the day.

My worst sting ever was along my inner wrist. It became very swollen and hot. Take some benadryl and apply cortisone cream. Icing helped too.

Under my finger nail. It throbbed all night.
    Stuart Ratcliff - Beekeeping Journal

Sucked a bee up my nostril, it reminded me of my boxing days. Almost knocked me out.
    California Almond Pollination Services, Inc.
    http://www.almondbeepollination.com

Something that happened years ago....

Kork and I were remembering a stinging incident just the other day. Happened back in the 80s, in the Lucas yard in Perry Mills, New York. We were reversing hives at dandelion bloom...beautiful weather, good flow on, bees in a good mood. We had two trucks in the yard, sideboards and equipment spread out on the ground. We were both in tee shirts, no veils.

The yard was almost finished, when the first colony reversed, fell over. As it hit the ground, the boxes separated and the frames fanned out, spilling the colony’s guts out across the grass. Instantly, a cloud of angry bees erupted from that hive. Did you ever ride a motorcycle? Have a stone fall off a truck up ahead of you? As you and the stone approach each other, the stone seems to travel in slow motion...until it hits you. Then it's going full speed...wham!

Well, those bees erupted out of that hive in slow motion in, a cloud that engulfed both of us. I never had a chance to take a step in any direction. They were on me like...every inch had a stinging bee. I tried to wipe them off, and they were back two fold. We looked at each other...did you ever see horse eyes when they're freaked out. Well, Kork had horse eyes. I ran for one truck, and Kork the other. Bees filled the cab of my truck, stinging everything...in my nose, in my ears, on my face and arms; even stinging the truck.

We met down the road in a turn off and pulled stingers. I could certainly never forget how my whole body buzzed...beyond pain. Eventually, I was able to drive the hour to home, but couldn't touch anything...lean back in the seat, or put my elbow on the window opening: Just my hands on the steering wheel.

We laugh about it now.

I got a bee between my glasses and my eye. I did not get the glasses off fast enough and she hit me on the inner corner of my eye / bridge of my nose. Very tender spot and the swelling made me look like something out of a star trek episode.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

I too was stung this summer right between my eyes! I swelled up real nice and looked like a Star Trek or Avatar character. I have never been so embarrassed to go somewhere, but I went to work. I work with patients, so it was humiliating!!
    Brittany (MI beek)

about 1967, I was in high school, I was doing something with a hive of midnite bees which were normally quite tame. it was a beautiful late spring day not a cloud in the sky, out of nowhere a cloud covered the sun, the bees went nuts. the next couple of days I went to school with one eye totally frozen shut and swollen bad the other one not a lot better. evidently nobody knew much about beestings or could comprehend the concept of beekeeping.... I figured out 3 things the hard way, it is a good idea to wear a veil around an open hive,.. bees can be unpredictable,....and the big one, I should not care what other people say or think..... seems like I am still getting refresher lessons on all 3 but not as bad since.......... there was another incident about then when I discovered that pant cuff straps were a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    We were both in tee shirts, no veils.
    Your story made me cringe.
    Curious, did this incident change the way you normally suit up when you work your bees? Did you wear a veil more regularly after that?
    Last edited by Mike Gillmore; 10-20-2013 at 08:54 AM. Reason: sp
    To everything there is a season....

Quote Originally Posted by mathesonequip View Post
    there was another incident about then when I discovered that pant cuff straps were a good idea.
    I just was out OAV my nucs and I had only a veil and sweats and a sweatshirt and I got 3 stings to my legs and on the finger and 2 on the stomach{ they know how to sneak in} I figured it would be easy since it was cold a great way to wake up on a sunday morning. I love it!
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

In the NOSTRIL??? Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

I got one inside my nostril too. I had captured a swarm a couple days before and was trying to take a picture of it. I wasn't planning to get too close so I didn't have a veil on and when I got within 5-6 feet of the hive one flew directly at me and into my left nostril. It took me probably 5 minutes to get the stinger out so I got a full dose of venom. Felt and looked like I'd caught a Mike Tyson right, had to stay home from work the next day. To add insult, my wife used a picture of me in that years Christmas card!

I remember when i just started out and the local association sold me a dark brown bee suit... they still sell them by the way! I had a box that was just horrible. i never knew anything about changing the genetics of the hive and just always dealt with that one for last.

i also had horrible stands that were actually balanced by the weight of the hives so when I lifted one of the hives at one end the other side was too heavy and toppled over. Due to a lack of common sense on my part, the veil was also not tucked in my pants. About 4 hives opened up including the dreaded one and I was caught somewhere in the middle. I literally couldnt see when they covered my veil.

Luckily there is a seasonal stream next to the hives in a gully, where a few weeks before my father and I dammed so we could swim. I jumped straight in that direction. I guess it was the adrenaline from the stings I was starting to get all over my face and body that made me so brave. The sad part is my pops had gone back and removed the man made block and there was just a small trickly of water. So I basically went head way for a few stones and hard mud.

I ran down the line with the bees still following and remembered that some book told me they wouldnt venture into dark places. I found the darkest corner and curled into a ball like a bully pounding me with fists. My face was numb, i guess stings have a way of opening your tear glands and water ran from, eyes, mouth and nose. They also covered my entire body and crawled up my pant legs. I slowly crawled under the shrubs until I was on my neighbour's property and climbed the banking to get to the road beside his house.

In Jamaica, we keep dogs mainly for protection and apparently his dogs never saw a creature like me in the suit before and they gave chase. I cried out hoping they would recognize me but they ran after me still. One did nip me on my leg and i must have been an easy target due the stings under my knees.
    Keeping bees in Jamaica www.dadabs.com

when i was a kid camping i got stung in my sleeping bag by a sleepy bee i rolled over on, right on the inner thy just below my groin area, screamed bloody murder and woke everyone up scared my parents as bad as me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast