Default New inexperienced queen or laying worker?

Hive swarmed a few weeks ago -- not sure of exact date as I was gone about 3 weeks - when I returned I found a couple of queen cells were present. Now, I haven't seen the queen but I am finding eggs but some cells have 2 eggs while others have one.

I have read that sometimes a new queen will initially lay multiple eggs and then start with single eggs. The eggs are all on the bottom of the cells and not on the sides so I am assuming it isn't a laying worker -- any experienced thoughts?

Thanks for you input.

Default Re: New inexperienced queen or laying worker?

Quote Originally Posted by orthoman View Post
    Hive swarmed a few weeks ago -- not sure of exact date as I was gone about 3 weeks - when I returned I found a couple of queen cells were present. Now, I haven't seen the queen but I am finding eggs but some cells have 2 eggs while others have one.

I have read that sometimes a new queen will initially lay multiple eggs and then start with single eggs. The eggs are all on the bottom of the cells and not on the sides so I am assuming it isn't a laying worker -- any experienced thoughts?

Thanks for you input.
    There is likely a queen there, bee more often then not get it right . Did they swarm or just replacing the queen? If cells were on bottom of frames it may be they swarmed, if on middle of frames queen supercedure. Just give them time, see what happens.

it could be a new queen. It could be laying workers. From what you've said, I think the chances are good it's a new queen. Laying workers lay lots of eggs everywhere, you'll see more than two per cell and they would be scattered around all over. A new queen will contain them within an area like queens do, and sometimes at first they do lay a couple per cell. The only way to know is to see the queen, or give it time and see what develops.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

I agree with ray. Most likely a virgin queen. Check those eggs in week, if capped worker you're good.

Quote Originally Posted by burns375 View Post
    I agree with ray. Most likely a virgin queen. Check those eggs in week, if capped worker you're good.
    My guess is young, inexperienced queen. Hopefully she's not a virgin and laying. She's a dud if she is.
    Try it. What could happen?