Thread: bee cluster

Default bee cluster

I live in south Georgia and this is my first year beekeeping. My question is, because it is so warm here, are my bees going to cluster in the winter. Sounds like what I've been reading on here is that the bees are flying just about all year. So are they going to raise more brood all winter, are they going to eat more because of more brood and more flying?

Default Re: bee cluster

They do cluster when temps are in the forties or less at night, then when temps rise above mid to high fifties in the day time they will do some flying. We are having a good goldenrod flow in most areas which should last several more weeks, that should help them put away enough stores for winter, if not, you can feed them sugar syrup on the warm days. The amount of brood raised in the winter depends on the type of bee, the dark bees will cut back to almost no brood, but the Italians will continue to raise brood.
    Our red maple flow starts as early as late December, I made my first splits on January 26 this year, so our bees have very little down time, our problem is the long late summer dearth, not our winters. Hope this helps, BTW I leave tomorrow for Valdosta to attend my grand daughters wedding I'll be down there for the week end. Good luck with your bees.

Stan.Vick,
    Thx for the info. We don't live too far apart, I might call on you again if you don't mind.

Any time no problem, I will help much as I can, but I am no bee expert, the only bee expert is the bees.