Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    142

    Default Re: Lady drops bottle of honey and wants me to replace it.

    Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    I would've just given her a block of crystallized honey and say it's because you don't trust her with containers.....
    Why don't we have a like button. This one is gold
    Cheers
    Rob

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    King County, Washington
    Posts
    84

    Default Re: Lady drops bottle of honey and wants me to replace it.

    Quote Originally Posted by HarryVanderpool View Post
    Hey Eastside! Thanks for loaning me your new forklift and trailer, but it seems that I misplaced them.
    I left them somewhere but can't recall where.
    So when are you going to get a new one?
    WELL HURRY UP!!!! I NEED TO BORROW IT!!
    Wait your turn Harry! I have it the next three weeks.

    I have dibs on the extractor too!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    King County, Washington
    Posts
    84

    Default Re: Lady drops bottle of honey and wants me to replace it.

    Seriously Mike...Just replace it. The goodwill shown will serve you well down the road.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Johnson City, TN
    Posts
    380

    Default Re: Lady drops bottle of honey and wants me to replace it.

    I think you handled it well, that's why I don't do retail. I came home from the store the other day and my son dropped the milk and spilled it in the parking lot. Who's fault is that? Did I get free milk? It was my fault for letting a three year old carry the milk, "even though he wears five year clothes, I have to remind myself he is three". If they had nothing and scrapped to buy it and that was their food for the week, that would shed a different light on it. I don't know what goes through peoples heads these days.
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Lady drops bottle of honey and wants me to replace it.

    Quote Originally Posted by beehonest View Post
    that's why I don't do retail.
    And yet....in the last two years I've sold countless hundreds of jars of honey and vinegar at the farmer's market....and have yet (knocking on wood) to be asked to replace a single one for any reason.

    At the retail level, this sort of thing is so unusual that I can't imagine it ever becoming a significant issue. In such a case, as a retail seller I wouldn't have any problem replacing the rare jar of honey to maintain goodwill with one of my direct, face to face customers. On the other hand, if it were a jar I sold wholesale, I'd let the retailer choose what value any goodwill might be for them...and they can act accordingly.

    In the op's case...it would seem to me to be an exceptionally persistent customer who would pursue the supplier for a replacement. As a supplier, not even acquainted with the customer....I'd simply say no.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN USA
    Posts
    685

    Default Re: Lady drops bottle of honey and wants me to replace it.

    I'm not surprised at all.

    We own a family business that sells costumes year round (while October may be the busy season with Halloween, Christmas is actually our most profitable, because nobody else within a couple hundred miles rents Santa costumes), and the stuff these people try to pull over on us makes you wonder how dumb they think we are.

    One woman tried to bring a costume back because she didn't get to wear it in the parade she was supposed to be in. Luckily, that parade was in the paper that morning, guess who was on the front page of the lifestyle section, wearing the dress, and waving to the crowd? Yup. We showed it to her right there on the spot since we had just been admiring the picture a couple hours earlier.

    One guy tried to bring a costume back for a refund because he didn't get to wear it. We took it out and it reeked of sweat and beer. He still claimed he never put it on.

    One tried to bring something back because they had ripped it full of holes trying to put it on. We offered to sew the holes back up, but they weren't getting their money back.

    We kind of miss Blockbuster Video being around, because they gave us the best analogy. "Would you rent a video from Blockbuster, keep it for a week, then take it back for a refund because you didn't get to watch it? No, because your rental fee was for that video not being in the building to rent to someone else. Same applies here. We don't care if you got to use your rental costume or not, it wasn't here for other people, you're not getting a refund."
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cordova, TN, USA
    Posts
    211

    Default Re: Lady drops bottle of honey and wants me to replace it.

    I disagree fully with the "good will" argument. The commodity industry we're in doesn't make it worth it. And since you aren't the face the customer sees, an attempt at good will won't produce any results that matter in the end.

    I'm a photographer, and good will is paramount to me. Even if a client ruins a print I make for them, I'll cut them a deal on replacement, because I want them back as a customer (because they spend thousands). If all the profit I got from them was $3, I wouldn't bother, because I would have to have a multitude of customers to turn a profit, and losing one due to their ineptitude won't matter to the bottom line.

    If you had a service business, good will is important. But here we're talking about widgets on a shelf. How many people do you really think this lady will tell? And after a month, do you think the people she tells will even remember what brand she complained about? Especially when the people she tells will look at her funny for expecting you to replace it after SHE made the mistake.

    There are times that good will matters. This isn't one of them.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Lady drops bottle of honey and wants me to replace it.

    Quote Originally Posted by rmcpb View Post
    Why don't we have a like button. This one is gold
    I agree!
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

  9. #29

    Default Re: Lady drops bottle of honey and wants me to replace it.

    Quote Originally Posted by rweaver7777 View Post
    But here we're talking about widgets on a shelf.
    I'm sorry you have such a low opinion of your honey.
    Good luck.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cordova, TN, USA
    Posts
    211

    Default Re: Lady drops bottle of honey and wants me to replace it.

    Lighten up, dude. Anything you line up on a shelf for sale, be it watches, crankshafts, cereal, batteries, 5-hour Energy, or honey is a commodity, thus a "widget", as opposed to a service offering.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Lady drops bottle of honey and wants me to replace it.

    Quote Originally Posted by rweaver7777 View Post
    Lighten up, dude. Anything you line up on a shelf for sale, be it watches, crankshafts, cereal, batteries, 5-hour Energy, or honey is a commodity, thus a "widget", as opposed to a service offering.
    I'm plenty light....
    You can add photographic prints to your list of widgets....I see stacks of them at any number of hobby and gift shops...on the same shelves with all the other widgets.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Johnson City, TN
    Posts
    380

    Default Re: Lady drops bottle of honey and wants me to replace it.

    I guess I need to clear up I don't deal with retailers or sell wholesale. I sell it myself.
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Casey, Il, USA
    Posts
    1,170

    Default Re: Lady drops bottle of honey and wants me to replace it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shouse View Post
    Just ask her who was responsible for dropping the Jar.

    Does she have any children, hope not, need to stop that gene pool.

    Had a lady take a wrong turn down our farm road, at night, in the rain, she ran off the road by over 25' hit out harvester that has been sitting there for 6 months. Sued us for the damage to her car. No she didn't win, but what was she thinking.

    Nuff Said!

    was her husband's name Ronnie? LOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_vPeKBIF_E

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Palm beach Florida USA
    Posts
    152

    Default Re: Lady drops bottle of honey and wants me to replace it.

    The good will would be to the store which does buy his honey and gets her off their back. I realize she is way off but I would of still given it to her. Customers routinely reach into my pocket and take money. The previous mentioned job took a total of 3 hrs which I made around 17-18 dollars total. Who calls 3 months later to complain. Some people expect me to return to clean out a new stain just because we just cleaned it. We do and never complain
    Life is just to short and while my job is different it is all money coming out of our pockets. Most local companies handle it just like you did and that's fine it's just not my way.

    Gene

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    28,014

    Default Re: Lady drops bottle of honey and wants me to replace it.

    I sell honey to an IGA near here. One time in all the years I have sold honey to them a person brought a Honeybear back to the store because the safety seal came off in the cap when she took the cap off rather than sticking to the mouth of the container. Seemed silly to me. But the customer is always right, right? I replaced the bear. I don't know if the customer got another one. She sure didn't call me and ask for one from me. Even though my phone number is on the label. Had she called me I would have traded w/ her.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries



  16. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Issaquah,WA,USA
    Posts
    2,402

    Default Re: Lady drops bottle of honey and wants me to replace it.

    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Even though my phone number is on the label. Had she called me I would have traded w/ her.
    If she had scooped it all up and gave me the pile of glass and honey I could have open fed it to my girls to recoup the honey. That would have been different.

    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I can see that in your case Gene. But I would not replace a jar of honey someone dropped on their kitchen floor. The profit margin isn't there to make up for it.
    If I thought that she was going to be a regular customer I would have made her a deal. But, if 10 bucks was to much for her then she was not going to be regular. She told me that her husband gambled and she was a single mom etc. I felt bad but, she is not my customer but, the bakery's customer. I cant circumvent them.

    Quote Originally Posted by HarryVanderpool View Post
    Hey Eastside! Thanks for loaning me your new forklift and trailer, but it seems that I misplaced them.
    As for the fork lift I might rent forklift and operator to you "harry". I don't lend equipment out. Learned my lesson a couple times with my Kubota. This baby is not loaned or left out of my sight. I use her every day to pick up something. Cant figure how I did without her before now.

    Quote Originally Posted by 66thstreetbees View Post
    Next time someone does that tell them they are more than welcome to pull some frames extract a bottle.
    Wish I had thought about that earlier. Good idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by rweaver7777 View Post
    There are times that good will matters. This isn't one of them.
    I agree. She wanted something for free and was trying to see if I would do it.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    598

    Default Re: Lady drops bottle of honey and wants me to replace it.

    I just do this as a hobby and not for the money, so I would have given her another one, but I do understand that the answer might be different if this was my business. It would just be because you are trying to be nice, if you gave it to her.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    grand rapids, michigan
    Posts
    451

    Default Re: Lady drops bottle of honey and wants me to replace it.

    I think it would have been wrong to replace her jar of honey at any price. It's good to be kind and generous but this person made an unreasonable and irresponsible demand. Do we want to encourage that behavior?
    Last edited by frankthomas; 10-12-2013 at 10:40 PM. Reason: incomplete

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Spring Tx
    Posts
    129

    Default Re: Lady drops bottle of honey and wants me to replace it.

    We have a lot of business's that rather shell out the money than take a stand. I say no, the customer is not all ways right ! I say if you screw up fix it, if they screw up (or deliberately trying to get something for nothing) they own there own. Just look around and take a good look at what our world has become, a bunch of people with there hands out demanding that they are entitled to what you have and worked for, than everyone wonders why prices are like they are, someone has to pay for there freebie's.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Benton, KY
    Posts
    128

    Default Re: Lady drops bottle of honey and wants me to replace it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Genemiller View Post
    Sorry but the good will is worth the free honey. I get calls like this in my job every once in a while and we take care of it regardless how silly it is. I own a carpet cleaning company. A lady called last week that we cleaned June 4 and said it didn't come out as good as the previous time. I asked her what he would like us to do and she said reclean it so we did. You could see all the new food stains but I just smiled and took care of it. My cost for the lost 1.5 hrs was plenty but it gets made up in referrals.



    Gene
    Most likely the best you are doing is getting referrals that are similar to her. Like refers like. 20% of my customers take 50% of my time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads