Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: epipen

Default epipen

Second yr. beek. Occasionally I get stung. No big deal. But several years ago my brother got stung. It didn't seem like a big deal at first, until he passed out, and nearly DIED. I would like to have an epipen on hand, for me and for anyone who happens to get stung, and has a violent reaction. Do you need a DR's prescription for an epipen?

Default Re: epipen

> Do you need a DR's prescription for an epipen?

Yes. It is a prescription drug.

This is a contentious issue, but in the eyes of the law, unless you are a trained/licensed medical professional, administering a prescription drug to a person whom the drug was not prescribed for may be a serious crime.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

They are also expensive. It is cost far less to have a vial of Epinephrine and a syringe.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 12 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

It depends on your insurance. I wanted to have several on hand and my doctor wrote the prescription. I think it was $20 for a two shot pack.

They are still expensive, even if you didn't have to fork over the cash. In addition there are different dosages for adults and children. The Epipen is a one size fits all (unless you have the adult and child pens).

Yes, you need a prescription, and as others have said, they are expensive. I recall $70 WITH insurance.

Epipen 2-packs typically sell for about $300-350 base price.

They also must be stored in cool temperatures at all times, and have a relatively short shelf life. Typically the ones you buy will be good for about 12 months, although if you're unlucky you could buy one with far less shelf life (due to how long the store has had them sitting around, the conditions they were stored in, etc).

Like you I also looked into getting epipens to have on hand "just in case". Then I saw the price, the limitations, etc on them, and decided it wasn't worth the price for me.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

As others have said there is potential liability for using a drug prescribed to you on someone else. You should be very sure you know what anaphylactic shock looks like and I (certified in epi usage long ago and not current) would also take the time to find out if the person you are contemplating using the pen on is allergic to epinephrin. Also you should know about rebound reactions and what steps to take once you have used an epi pen.

I do not have an epi pen for myself currently, though I have in the past. I do keep generic benadryl on hand and make sure my wife knows where it is. And I know Benadryl is not a substitute for epinephrin.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by mdax View Post
    I think it was $20 for a two shot pack.
    We paid $390 for two!

Quote Originally Posted by westernbeekeeper View Post
    We paid $390 for two!
    He apparently has very good insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Edymnion View Post
    He apparently has very good insurance.
    We only paid $105 out of pocket, insurance got the rest.

earlier this year auvi-q was offering a coupon to help with cost. You can find them online.

I got epipens because my sister insisted (she is allergic to wasps which is a different issue and is alive because of carrying an epipen).
    If I did ever need one--as unlikely as that is-- the money spent would seem like a pretty smart investment.

Quote Originally Posted by RudyT View Post
    If I did ever need one--as unlikely as that is-- the money spent would seem like a pretty smart investment.
    Yeah, but stick with that mentality and you'll be on Doomsday Preppers in under 6 months.

Gotta weigh the benefit against the cost. The odds of you needing an epipen if you aren't allergic to anything is pretty darn low. Add onto that that odds are when you do need it, you will not have it on you (because you won't be carrying it everywhere you go) so you may not even be able to get to it in such a case. Those who really need one keep it on them or directly at hand pretty much 24/7.

So, is it worth spending $300-$400 a year on something you might need once in your lifetime, when you may not even be able to use it if/when the occasion does arise?

As someone else already said, much cheaper to just keep some syringes around with a bottle of the stuff and do it all manually.

I think mine were 25 dollars for 2. They have expired but I'm thinking I really don't need it. I got it because a blood test showed I was allergic to bee stings but have never had more than local reactions.

I get a new set of epipens every year, it's like 10$ for 2 with insurance and every year when I'm at the Dr.'s office for my yearly physical I just have him write a new script. It's not because I'm allergic it's just in the instance someone comes with me out to my apiaries and goes into anaphylaxis from a sting I'm prepared. My dad has had severe reactions in the past as well so better safe then sorry.
    We the willing have done so much with so little for so long we can now do anything with nothing

My doctor wouldn't write a prescription for one. He said that I could get into more trouble with one than without. You can give yourself (or someone else) a heart attack by giving them a shot with those.
    I could write a book about what I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan1951 View Post
    My doctor wouldn't write a prescription for one. He said that I could get into more trouble with one than without. You can give yourself (or someone else) a heart attack by giving them a shot with those.
    I went to an allergist and was told the same thing. She said not very many people are allergic to honeybee stings. Localized reactions with lots of swelling, yes, but not the true allergic reactions that affect your breathing, etc., that require an epipen.

I was told to use my epi ONLY if I had problems breathing. I figure that unless I'm looking at many hundreds of stings I shouldn't have a problem...but it's nice to have if that rare event happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan1951 View Post
    Wow, I would find a new Doctor.
    If you are going into anaphylactic shock, and use an epipen on yourself, the odds of having a heart attack are much lower than someone finding you lying in a field the next day.
    To everything there is a season....

You may be able to take a medical emergencies class to get certified with the epinephrine. I will always give someone who is anaphylactic shock a jolt of epi, but I have had training on its use. I would rather risk the legal implications of a bad outcome trying to save someones life than having a preventible tragedy on my conscious. However the legal risks are very real.

The major risks are cardiac arrest and drug interactions, both of which are potentially fatal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    Wow, I would find a new Doctor.
    ditto