Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Lady drops bottle of honey and wants me to replace it.

So just got a call from a customer of my customer that sells my honey. She bought it for 10 bucks from the bakery that resells my honey. She takes it home and drops it and the glass bottle breaks because of her dog or kid or something. She calls the bakery and they say that they will give her a second one for 5 dollars. She has a picture of course of the broken bottle of honey. They gave her my number and she calls me and asks me to replace the honey for her.

I asked if she dropped a gallon of milk would the supermarket replace it. Of course she said Fred Meyer would. I said the bakery offered her a great deal. She said that it would amount to a 15 dollar bottle of honey. I said no it was 2 bottles one you used on the floor and the second one you are going to eat. I explained that I thought that this was a weird call in the first place and no one had ever called me before like this and I would have to think about it and call her back.

I thought about it and called the bakery and then called her and told her about the plight of the bee's and how many I loose each year etc and she felt so bad for the bee's that she gave up on her quest for the free honey.

Geez what do people think.? You break it you bought it or how ever that goes.

Default Re: Lady drops bottle of honey and wants me to replace it.

By now you'd think we'd never be surprised by how some people think and act. It speaks to your hope for humanity ESBuzz that you're surprised yet again.

The only thing I can say is Wow!

Sounds like you need to talk to the bakery and get on the no call list.

Quote Originally Posted by fieldsofnaturalhoney View Post
    Sounds like you need to talk to the bakery and get on the no call list.
    That's what I'm thinking. Wow!

Be nice to get the same deal when you bend a car. Supplier just gives you a new one! How good would that be.

Amazing what some people expect.
    Cheers
    Rob

Next time someone does that tell them they are more than welcome to pull some frames extract a bottle.

Now that's a new one. Never heard of that before.

I was stocking a grocery shelf today w/ Squeak Creek Honey and thought about what would happen if I dropped one of the 5 pounders while putting them up on the shelf. I bet the store owner would want his money back. But that's completely different from where I am sitting. He sure wouldn't replace something I took home and destroyed.

It's not like droping an ice cream cone right outside the stand. I've seen that happen.

Well handled.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

I had a lady come to me at the farmers market a few weeks ago. She'd just bought a jar of honey vinegar and dropped it in the parking lot. I offered to replace it....she said...'no...I dropped it but it sure smelled good so I'm buying another.' And she did.

Ya just never know what folks are gonna do.

Adding to this...my situation was quite different that that of the op. My commentary is on the response of the customer.
    Last edited by beemandan; 10-10-2013 at 05:04 PM.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideBuzz View Post
    So just got a call from a customer of my customer that sells my honey. She bought it for 10 bucks from the bakery that resells my honey..
    You did notice she said Freddie's would have replaced it. Kind of strange don't you think that she didn't even dare mention the dairy farmer supplying the milk to Freddies. In this equation you are the same as the dairyman in the supply chain. The bakery is the equivalent of Freddies. I think the true issue is with the schmucks who own the bakery. They are your customer and she is theirs. Next time you make a delivery you might want to bill them for 100% of their retail price as they seem to expect that you will be taking the hits but not the profits. Look for another place to wholesale at........... someone who takes care of their customers instead of trying to pass the problems down the chain to someone whose problem it really isn't.

Sell her honey in plastic no-drip containers.

That's right. What the supplier gets from the retailer in return for wholesale pricing is that the retailer deals with customer service. Your warranty agreement with the retailer should be well defined, and they shouldn't even consider sending such a customer to you. If she just used the contact info on the jar to call you it would have been completely fair for you to simply refer her back to the bakery. This is just a case of "can't blame me for trying." What a schmuck. But what you did is better no doubt. Better than just calling her a schmuck that is.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Hey Eastside! Thanks for loaning me your new forklift and trailer, but it seems that I misplaced them.
    I left them somewhere but can't recall where.
    So when are you going to get a new one?
    WELL HURRY UP!!!! I NEED TO BORROW IT!!
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

I had a customer let quart jars roll around in her trunk, also came back wanting me to replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryVanderpool View Post
    Hey Eastside! Thanks for loaning me your new forklift and trailer, but it seems that I misplaced them.
    I left them somewhere but can't recall where.
    So when are you going to get a new one?
    WELL HURRY UP!!!! I NEED TO BORROW IT!!
    Very nice!

Sorry but the good will is worth the free honey. I get calls like this in my job every once in a while and we take care of it regardless how silly it is. I own a carpet cleaning company. A lady called last week that we cleaned June 4 and said it didn't come out as good as the previous time. I asked her what he would like us to do and she said reclean it so we did. You could see all the new food stains but I just smiled and took care of it. My cost for the lost 1.5 hrs was plenty but it gets made up in referrals.

Gene

I can see that in your case Gene. But I would not replace a jar of honey someone dropped on their kitchen floor. The profit margin isn't there to make up for it.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Just ask her who was responsible for dropping the Jar.

Does she have any children, hope not, need to stop that gene pool.

Had a lady take a wrong turn down our farm road, at night, in the rain, she ran off the road by over 25' hit out harvester that has been sitting there for 6 months. Sued us for the damage to her car. No she didn't win, but what was she thinking.

Nuff Said!
    California Almond Pollination Services, Inc.
    http://www.almondbeepollination.com

Yeah Gene "suckers are born every minute" even in business. One thing to be able to prove your guy didn't get the stain out of the carpet the first time but who dropped the bottle of honey not the producer. I would have replaced the honey for free and charged her for the damaged bottle three fold
    Think about it....Buy American

I would've just given her a block of crystallized honey and say it's because you don't trust her with containers.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast