Default Is it too late in the year to do any brood stealing?

I have 2 hives, each are 2 deep langs. One has noticeably less population. Nice sunny day today in lower Michigan and I thought I might pull a frame of brood from the stronger hive and put it in the weaker.

If I do that, I assume the best way is to pull a frame of capped brood with nurse bees (without the queen of course) from the strong hive. Probably shouldn’t pull from the center of the strong brood nest though right?

Pull a weak frame from the weak hive. That frame would go to position 1 or 10 of the strong hive. Or assuming the brood nest of the strong hive is in the top box, put it in the bottom box?

The brood frame from the strong hive would go near the center of the weaker hives brood nest?

Please advise. Thanks!

Default Re: Is it too late in the year to do any brood stealing?

I think it is too late and I am just a bit further south than you, in NW Ohio.

Both hive have probably already optimized their populations and food supplies for the winter, so you'll be messing with their winter brood nest and stores. In addition, it takes 30 days for the bees to replace that frame of brood plus nectar and pollen. The bigger hive may not have enough warm weather to replace the frame, so essentially, you'll be stealing their "winter bees".

Thanks merince. Even though the population is lower on the one hive, the upper deep still weighs 80+ pounds. So I think they'll be in good shape. Btw, I've started reading your blog. Some good stuff there. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for the nice words. You might find that the smaller colony ends up with a full upper deep in the spring and matches the bigger one in numbers.