Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Default Re: Treatment Free - How long does it take?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    W have records from the 40's and 50's, and yes, the crops where much bigger then(mid 100's), almost twice the average from the 70's(80-90 range). The "Bull of the Woods" would say that the Hay crimper(mid 60';s) was the biggest downfall of commercial beekeeping.

Crazy Roland
    My dad always said the worst thing to happen to beekeeping out here was the advent of the round baler. No longer did it take a big crew of folks with bulging biceps to bring in the hay.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Peter gets sent to an awful lot of scientific conferences for his lab.

That's an education in itself.

But, many would agree that unless you're publishing in peer reviewed journals, you're not a mainstream scientist.

Regardless, we too often rely on the research and other scientific information provided by the 'scientists' in the beekeeping world.

I disagree with some of their opinions, but it's better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    Peter gets sent to an awful lot of scientific conferences for his lab.

That's an education in itself.

he also has access to research data that we can't see or have to pay for. just wish he could/would post more from each article.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Mike B., when was the last time you published in ABJ. Apparently ABJ approves of Peter's contribution to beekeeping knowledge.

On top of that, what Peter was quoted as saying himself was something he quoted himself. So, you are disparaging the folks that did the research as well as Peter. Peter is careful about what he puts out there, from what I have seen. I don't know what is accomplished by bashing Peter. Log into bee-L and make your statement there so Peter can see how you feel.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by mike bispham View Post
    Not specifics. It was a few years ago and I don't recall the details. It was on this forum though. You could look it up.
    If you're going to make a statement like this, you should be the one looking it up and making it clear to everyone. Waiting.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Mike B., when was the last time you published in ABJ. Apparently ABJ approves of Peter's contribution to beekeeping knowledge.

On top of that, what Peter was quoted as saying himself was something he quoted himself. So, you are disparaging the folks that did the research as well as Peter. Peter is careful about what he puts out there, from what I have seen. I don't know what is accomplished by bashing Peter. Log into bee-L and make your statement there so Peter can see how you feel.
    gee I have no idea what you read, I was complimenting him not bashing him. just wish when he could post more of the information that he gets from sources that are not available to us on bee-l, ie. that he could include more of the data in his POSTS. If you had been a regular on bee-l you would have seen his post as to why he can't include more of the information. How about we do a co-author article for ABJ, now that would prove quite interesting and we could both say we finally got published.
    mike syracuse ny

Your last name starts w/ a "B"? My comments were directed at Mike Bispham.

Being published on beesource is about as high as I aspire.

> Being published on beesource is about as high as I aspire.

Mark is not the author, but rather the subject of this published article:

http://northcountrynow.com/business/...ey-year-030604
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Exposed, not published.

true my last name starts with a B. that's why this format is so much fun, especially in the winter. That's too bad I was just doing the research for the paper, over on Bee-l using some of peter's posts. I will admit I don't always agree with Peter, but he was interesting the one year I got my bees inspected. and I'm the same in real life as on the net, he called at 7am on a sat. and said he was going to inspect everyone of my hives, when he showed up I had a step ladder in the back of my truck. he said what is that for, you said you were going to inspect all of my hives, I said your going to need this. he didn't inspect them all
    mike syracuse ny

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    If you're going to make a statement like this, you should be the one looking it up and making it clear to everyone. Waiting.

I woudl say it is the waiting part that keeps them not knowing.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Exposed, not published.
    Oh my! I didn't know you did that sort of thing.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Sorry, got left behind there. I've no idea how scientific ABJ is - though Bee magazines don't tend to get peer reviewed by Phd's - and I've no idea either what PLB's current scientific status is.

It does appear he's been promoted to lab manager at a Veterinary lab at Cornell, and it seems he hasn't got out of the habit of bigging himself up - describing himself on his own webpage as doing 'biomedical research' there. Last I heard you need a phd to do research - he's listed as a 'Technician IV'. Perhaps its different there. Or, more likely, he's working alongside phd's who are doing biomedical research. Maybe its just careless writing.

All I said was: don't mistake him for a scientist. I added a personal view that he wasn't (then) very good at scientific argumention - last time we exchanged thoughts - which it appears was probably in 2010. He seems to have stopped posting around then. I can't find the specific exchanges we had that formed that view.

I have realised I'm fighting an old battle. Back then PLB was pretty roughhanded. But it was a long time ago.

As to posting on BEE-L I've better things to do with my time than get my posts repeatedly censored because my messsage is unwelcome (as I recall: importing zillions of Australian bees isn't helping US bees adapt to varroa).

Mike (UK)
    Last edited by mike bispham; 12-14-2013 at 10:38 AM.
    Anti-husbandry: Medication + Reproduction = Continuing Sickness
    http://www.suttonjoinery.co.uk/CCD/

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    WLC - your tower hive seems to be some what of an under achiever. We typically can split all packages 2 from 1, or 3 from 2 , and make a comparable honey crop to our peers. You say that only the center frames where drawn out? We typically see that in hives that where over supered, the bees where spread out too far. Just because the boxes are tall, that does not mean they are all full of bees(not directed to anyone, just a fact).

Maybe you need to come for a visit to Wisconsin.

Crazy Roland
    Crazy Roland,
    I am curious about how you do this? And when are you installing the packages?
    Is this on foundation or on drawn combs?
    And 3 lb packages or 2 lb packages?
    Thanks!
    Mike
    Bee a blessing to God and others.

3 lb packages installed usually on drawn comb, but sometimes foundation, when the dandelions just start blooming(at least that was the plan). We use a single seep, and make sure the queen always has open comb.

Crazy Roland

Packages? Why are you buying packages? Empty comb? Why do you have empty comb?

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819