Quote Originally Posted by AR Beekeeper View Post
The African drones fly at different times than do Italians, this has been reported in the Black Bee also. The Black Bee queens are reported to mate closer to their own apiary than do queens that are mostly Italian.
Yes this fact has many times been misinterpreted to imply the different species do not, or may not, interbreed. It is true that the main time frame for drone flying does differ between some of the species. But fact is, not enough to prevent interbreeding.
Simple observation and common sense bears this out. For example, African drones main flying time frame window differs from some other species. This does not prevent beekeepers in areas with Africanised bees struggling to keep their bees pure, interbreeding is a fact.

Dr. Delaneys video showed the different mitochondrial DNA between the two groups of bees. But mitochondrial DNA remains unchanged for countless generations even though nucleic DNA can have changed much. In answer to the question as to whether Dr. Delaney was saying the colonies were pure, she didn't, but I think she attempted to imply that. Which I found sad, coming from a respected expert. Subsequent conversation on Beesource has born out that was the way most people interpreted what she said. Simply wrong unfortunately.

The correct interpretation, is that over a long enough period of time the two populations will merge, assuming the kept bees are not moved or requeened too much. Although in practise, they probably will be. But the mitochondrial DNA, representing the matriarchal line, will remain different, depending on who the original mothers were of the stock. But mitochondrial DNA has little effect on the make up of the bee.

On a different tack, David that is an excellent article, I'm impressed!