Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2.1 syrup

Default Re: 2.1 syrup

1000.0 US gallons of 67% syrup is equal to 6814.6 pounds of sugar and 440.0 US gallons of water
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I mix about 2 to 2 1/2 gallons of very hot tap water with 25# cane sugar, splash of cider vineger, sprinkle of citric acid and electrolytes with vitamins. Mix with drill and paint paddle for about 2 minutes. Syrup goes from very milky to opaque yellowish color. It clears on it's own shortly after. After pouring out into the feeders, there is sometimes a tiny bit of undesolved sugar at the bottom of the bucket, but I just mix that up with the next batch.

Well, it sounds like just about everyone has determined your making rock candy not syrup....including the beekeepers wife. I would concur the second boiling is the culprit along with water ratio loss, crystal formation and ....rock candy.

The best recipe that I have found for a 2:1 ratio, is a 25# bag of sugar, 20lbs of (very hot) water (2.5 gallons) and 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar to lower the pH closer to that of honey along with 1 tsp ascorbic acid (canning)....the girls are going through a gallon in about 2-3 days right now with the temps in the mid 50's....

On this site is a handy little syrup calculator in excel. Top of the page.
    http://manitobabee.org/hive/
    Luke

> I have found for a 2:1 ratio, is a 25# bag of sugar, 20lbs of (very hot) water

If you want a 2:1 ratio, and are measuring in pounds, I would think that for 25 lbs of sugar, 12.5 lbs of water would be more appropriate. 12.5 lbs of water is very close to 1.5 gallons

25 lbs sugar / 20 lbs water = 1.25 / 1 or
    1.25 : 1
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

There is an old, old saying in beekeeping: "A pint is a pound the world around!" What it means is that a pound of sugar equals a pint of water. Makes for very easy calculations. For a 1:1 syrup you use your number of pounds dissolved in an equal number of pints of water--10 pounds sugar in 10 pints water, for example. To get 2:1 syrup, you double the number of pounds of sugar to pints of water--20 pounds of sugar to 10 pints of water. Easy, easy to calculate.

(BTW a cup = 8 oz; a pint = 16 oz (2 cups); 2 pints = 1 quart (32 oz); 4 quarts = 1 gallon (128 oz).)

Personally when I am making a gallon of 1:1, I use 5 pounds of sugar to 5 pints of water and have enough space left in the gallon container to add 1 cup of my own bee tonic.

HTH

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Hills Farm View Post
    There is an old, old saying in beekeeping: "A pint is a pound the world around!" What it means is that a pound of sugar equals a pint of water. Makes for very easy calculations.
    I was going to say those very words! Anyways, I'll second that!
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

>with hard water 2:1 may not be stable

That's my theory. I have no problems with 5:3, but 2:1 even if I boil the syrup still crystallizes...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

BeeCurious, on not having to boil, every time you boil you lose volume in vapor, you end up short on the H2O.

Not if you measure after you boil.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    Not if you measure after you boil.
    So what do you propose, boiling a second pot of water to top off the first?

That doesn't seem easier than using a lid and not allowing the water to boil...
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...