Default Putting a frame of open brood next to graft?

I talked with a guy that puts a frame of open brood next to his grafts in order to "hold the nurse bees"/"give them something to do", something like that. He's been successful( at least by his standards), but I feel like this would take attention away from the graft. My logic would be, if you feel like the nurse bees need more to do, then add another graft...

What do you guys think?
    Stuart Ratcliff - Ratcliff Beekeeping Facebook page

Default Re: Putting a frame of open brood next to graft?

Quote Originally Posted by SRatcliff View Post
    I talked with a guy that puts a frame of open brood next to his grafts in order to "hold the nurse bees"/"give them something to do", something like that. He's been successful( at least by his standards), but I feel like this would take attention away from the graft. My logic would be, if you feel like the nurse bees need more to do, then add another graft...

What do you guys think?
    I would tend to agree: if they need more to do, they may as well be given more grafts.

I've always placed open brood beside the graft. Brings more nurse bees close to the graft, especially if the graft is in a queenright hive above an excluder.

Jean-Marc

I would put open brood in the top box 10 days before the graft to get the nurse bees in the habit of being up in the top box. They should be all capped about the time of the graft. "Giving them something else to do" is the wrong idea, you don't want them to have anything to do except eat and feed Royal Jelly to the queen cells.

Open brood in the Cell Starter/Finisher invites them to make their own queen cells. Now the Cell Builder colony is a strong one, but it is NOT your Queen Mother colony (I use a very strong colony of mean German Black Bee crosses for cell building), so you really don't want the nurse bees choosing who gets to be a queen by giving then open brood.

I do recommend that you put a frame of super-fresh pollen next to the grafts, cut cells, or punch cells (which ever method you use).

Honey Capped Capped Capped Pollen Graft Capped Capped Capped Honey = Top Cell builder box This arrangement for high quality queens using 1 deep frame with 3 cell bars totaling about 45 to 48 queen cells.

Honey Capped Capped Graft Pollen Pollen Graft Capped Capped Honey - This arrangement for high-production queens after you learn to really stuff the Cell builder with TONS of nurse bees like Michael Palmer does using Brother Adam's method. This is using two medium frames with 2 bars of cells each, totaling about 60 QC's.
    Last edited by kilocharlie; 10-13-2013 at 02:43 PM.