Default Propagating Goldenrod

I would like to have a few Goldenrod plants on my property just so i can tell when they are getting ready to bloom, for the fall flow. Do you grow them from seed or transplant. Has anyone ever tried it before?
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Default Re: Propagating Goldenrod

This past Autumn, I purchased seed through Amazon.com and started them indoors, in small pots - then transplanted them outside in the Spring. I mulched them with straw, fertilized them and connected them to an automatic irrigation system. They have grown well, considering this variety is supposedly native to Northern U.S. and Canada. The plants look nice, but they don't seem to be getting ready to bloom, this year. Perhaps, they will bloom later, or even wait until next season.

The seed were tiny, but germinated easily and grew very fast.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Does anybody else see a 'problem' that our 'bugs' are driving us to plant 'weeds' that everybody else is trying to get rid of??? Only a beekeeper would understand!

Hey Steve, how ya doin'?

Does goldenrod really yield much nectar in SC, as close to the coast as you are? For those who don't know, Steve lives almost w/in walking distance of the Atlantic Ocean.

I think you should find some g-rod which has gone to seed and gather the seed heads and plant a patch in your yard.

Miami,
    People are trying to get rid of goldenrod? I didn't know that. Who are they? Where do they live? I wanna give them a piece of my mind. Many people I talk to think goldenrod and ragweed are the same thing.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Goldenrod is considered a weed here and people spray to kill it. This year I would not mow my fields until after the goldenrod flow was over. In fact, I just started mowing yesterday. I now have some neighbors a little upset because they say my goldenrod seed will blow over on them. My wife was upset with me also, because she said our farm looked like a jungle, because I let all the iron weed, goldenrod and other weeds grow. Life is getting better though. The flow is over, I'm mowing and my wife has finally let me back in the house. Attached are some pictures of my fields with the goldenrod in bloom.
    101_0680.jpg101_0679.jpg101_0681.jpg101_0682.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bees In Miami View Post
    Does anybody else see a 'problem' that our 'bugs' are driving us to plant 'weeds' that everybody else is trying to get rid of??? Only a beekeeper would understand!
    Many of these "weeds" were, in fact, crops imported because of their nutritional or medicinal values. Case in point: dandelion. That other farmers decided to stop cultivating them doesn't mean we should. So what if the weeds reseed themselves in their crops? Their pesticides spread themselves on our bees... A windbreaking hedge would likely be to everyone's satisfaction, though: less weed seeds go to your neighbors, and less pesticides spread to your land.

Quote Originally Posted by Bees In Miami View Post
    Many of these "weeds" were, in fact, crops imported because of their nutritional or medicinal values. Case in point: dandelion. That other farmers decided to stop cultivating them doesn't mean we should. So what if the weeds reseed themselves in their crops? Their pesticides spread themselves on our bees... A windbreaking hedge would likely be to everyone's satisfaction, though: less weed seeds go to your neighbors, and less pesticides spread to your land.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    Exactly

And goldenrod is a particularly useful medicinal plant for humans. All parts of it are edible, and it has pain killing and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also a good diuretic. Its one of the things to really keep an eye out for after the zombie apocalypse.

That said, you can propagate it by seed or by root. Split the root up and replant, or sow the seeds on the surface of the soil in late fall, gently run a rake over them to scratch the dirt up just a little bit, and you'll have plants come spring (they require the cold winter weather to break dormancy in the spring, aka they need to be stratified).
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

How is it eaten by humans? Cooked? Which parts?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    How is it eaten by humans? Cooked? Which parts?
    All parts are edible.

The flowers can be used as garnish in salads, and the leaves can be used for teas or cooked like spinach.

Sweet Goldenrod specifically has a flavor similar to anise that was used to make "liberty tea" during the revolutionary war against great britain.
    http://www.eattheweeds.com/solidago-...liberty-tea-2/

It apparently also produces rubber naturally, and the tires on Henry Ford's Model T were made from goldenrod rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by Edymnion View Post
    All parts are edible.

The flowers can be used as garnish in salads, and the leaves can be used for teas or cooked like spinach.

Sweet Goldenrod specifically has a flavor similar to anise that was used to make "liberty tea" during the revolutionary war against great britain.
    http://www.eattheweeds.com/solidago-...liberty-tea-2/

It apparently also produces rubber naturally, and the tires on Henry Ford's Model T were made from goldenrod rubber.
    Plus, It also makes a pretty doggone good honey, too!

More info on the goodness of goldenrod:
    http://ultimatesurvivaltips.com/gold...-helpful-herb/

>I would like to have a few Goldenrod plants on my property just so I can tell when they are getting ready to bloom

There are many different kinds of goldenrod and aster. Aster seems to bloom all around the same time. Different varieties of goldenrod can start blooming as early as end of July and go to frost.
    Both Goldenrod and aster grow by rhizomes and can be easily transplanted just pull them up by the stalk when soil is wet, break the stock and plant the root. Both are air dispersed, look like little dandelion seeds, break the stalks off wave it in the air if the seed float in the wind they are ready.

>some neighbors a little upset because they say my goldenrod seed will blow over on them

Seed that are dispersed by wind can go miles, seeds can remain in the soil for 10+ years before they germinate, birds and animal will often carry the seed even further. If you could kill every weed on your property your neighbors would not even have a .0000001% reduction in weeds.

>My wife was upset with me also, because she said our farm looked like a jungle,

As a society we are bred to think we need nicely cut green grass with no weeds to survive and we must apply all kinds of chemical we see on TV. It's bad for the bees, the environment and your health. How much gas did you not burn and time did you saved by only cutting it once a year?
    Last edited by FlowerPlanter; 10-10-2013 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edymnion View Post
    More info on the goodness of goldenrod:
    http://ultimatesurvivaltips.com/gold...-helpful-herb/

Very interesting link.

Sqkcrk, Mark I have no idea if the local goldenrod puts out much nectar. All I know is that everyone is talking about the goldenrod flow, and I see plenty of it along side the road, close to my house. I checked the bees Sunday and they were all full of uncapped nectar.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sfisher View Post
    I would like to have a few Goldenrod plants on my property just so i can tell when they are getting ready to bloom, for the fall flow. Do you grow them from seed or transplant. Has anyone ever tried it before?
    Pic out an area that you like and till the soil and walk away. Everything you ever wanted for your bees will grow. If you don't brush hog and till every 5 years or so it will become hard to manage because of the trees.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Go out in the fall and look for goldenrod that is being worked by bees. Remember where it is. Go back later when it has gone to seed and collect it. Scatter it where you want it...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I stopped and looked at some along side the road today. It was loaded with honey bees, 2 or 3 different kinds of wasp, bumble bees, and butterflies.