Default Me and the Bees in Hardy Arkansas

Hi Everyone! I feed a few hundred bees which arrive every fall. They first arrived on January 1 2010 the day the birds fell from the sky in Beebe Ar. I live in Hardy. and now I am here to learn more to find out how to lure my little friends into a new home. Don't know if they are wild or someone has a hive close by. Asked and looked around and doesn't look like there are any beekeepers in the immediate area. Every summer I look for the Bees and never find them so they may be being shipped out I worry about them each summer since past the hills of the Ozarks where I live , lies endless fields of GMO (genetically modified organisms) corn soy and rice being saturated with Roundup (Glysphoste spell?) and that as most know is whats killing the bees.
    So, if I could just lure them into their newly built home/hive they could live a life free from chemicals, smoke, and High Fructose Corn Syrup.
    Here is how little I know about Bee stuff. Do they leave because they must go to their Queen? And is there a chance that the could form a new hive and create a new queen? What can I do to facilitate this?

Today I saw two Bees fighting. Is this usual? Never have they fought before. Oh! And a bunch of Bees were ganging up on (I assume it was a Bee but couldn't see)is the Queen balling? When the Bees are around the wasps leave. But this year the yellow jackets share feeding stations with the Bees.

Another question. There are two different species? of Bees. One with uniform yellow and black stripes the other with more of a solid black at the end.

Looking forward to your replies info and comments.

One more thing, if I may, Bee hives are very similar in design to Bat houses (though Bats house are upside down)s, not the crummy single chamber bat houses that are sold in hardware stores and look like mailbox chutes, but multi chambered Bat condos so that the bats can multiply, move around and escape heat if need be..
    So, Bats too need friends and or protectors habitat suppliers. They (Bats) won't eat Bees since the Bees aren't out at night But, alas, little interest is given since there is no money to be made from Bats, unless you sell guano. I don't Love Bees just to profit from them (which I don't) surely there are those who care more about important things and not money and wish to save Bats! How about to prevent mosquito born viruses? Now that should be motivating!

Let's hear it for Bats and Bees !

Default Re: Me and the Bees in Hardy Arkansas

Welcome to Beesource!

I suspect you will find it interesting here, and you may be surprised to learn that some of the things that you think you know are not really the way you currently think. Or something like that.

To start with, there are honeybees, and then there are other kinds of bees. As honeybees are not native to North America, the non-honeybees are sometimes referred to as "native pollinators", or in some places in this forum, "alternative pollinators." For the most part, posts at Beesource are dealing with honeybees.

Yes, bees can fight. Sometimes they may fight over feed, i.e. honey / sugar syrup, etc.

You may be able to entice a swarm of honeybees to move into a swarm trap. Don't count on it.

Glyphosate is an herbicide. It does not kill bees. However, it may be used to kill plants/weeds that bees use for forage.

You may find Michael Bush's comprehensive beekeeping site useful to further your bee education:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 10-09-2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: typo
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Welcome MATB!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Hello MATB:
    You say you are already feeding some bees so it should be relatively simple to find the hive. Watch your feeder because bees will go straight back to the hive once they are full. Just take note of which direction they are going and watch for any bees going in that direction(Beeline). If I lose track I move my feeder close to where my last sighting was and then start again. Keep doing that and eventually you will find the hive. Sometimes you get lucky and find the hive right away other times its not so quick. Now catching the hive after is a whole lot more complicated but there is a good section on trapouts here on the forum. Just a thought, once you get your first hive you may get hooked on beekeeping and it'll become an obsession. Good luck and welcome to the forum.