Wink Top Entrance Robber Screen

I have a couple ideas on making one, but wanted to get the collective knowledge. I have looked at a bunch or robber screen, but I haven't seen any for a top entrance. I was wondering if anyone had any that they made and how they have worked. I also figured that an entrance on the side of the screen or top would work better than an entrance on the bottom. I've noticed that when the bees will climb upward on the hive, but don't often walk down the hive (I have had lower entrances as well when this was observed). Don't know if that's just me or if anyone else has seen this. Anyways, I just want something that will work. I plan on making a couple and trying them out, but if anyone has any experience, that would be great. I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Default Re: Top Entrance Robber Screen

I run top entrances and had a robbing problem late summer. I just took #8 hardware cloth 6" longer then the width of the hive and 7-8" wide and made a 90 degree bend lengthwise and a small bend near the top and inserted it between the migratory cover and the entrance reducer and left the sides open, nothing fancy but it worked great. The bottom of it just rested on the hive it was not affixed. It took the bees in the hive a little while to figure it out, it would have been better if I waited until evening when everyone was home before putting it on. But they did figure it out anyway. Good luck.

Nice work Vodo, that looks much more professional then I did. Good looking hive. Hope it works well for you.

Thanks, it was put on before any of them were out in the morning. When I got home, this is what I saw. Had a little fighting, but not a ton. I think there was some confusion even though they had exited that way this morning. The good thing was that it seems to have stopped the yellow jackets from robbing as well.

Wow, that is one impressive hive, Vodo!

Thanks merince! The roof is a little tall, but like the way it looks and will hopefully create dead air space to help with condensation.

I especially liked the roof - gives it a little bit of a Swiss challet / gingerbread house kind of vibe

Thanks, not sure if I'll be making more this winter for the other hive or two I plan on having next year, but it was fun to make.