Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Talking Bees w/ Wannabees

You say your to talk about biology and disease and pest .i'd say if they have other question you can tell them about beesource or give them contact info for the moderator's............Good luck...

"My dilemma is that I know I can't simply spell out what the diseases are and how to recognize them and then what the pests are and how to recognize them and leave it at that."

Why not? It is your class and, I am sure you have a time limit. Just raising the flags and providing a way to seek answers makes a pretty good lecture. Rome wasn't built in a day,and beekeeping isn't completely taught in one hour. A hand out reading list would be VERY useful in student aid.
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by mrqb View Post
    or give them contact info for the moderator's..........
    NO!!!!
    Regards, Barry

I would tell them about BEESOURCE, and suggest they go in and look at BEEKEEPING 101, where other rookies are discussing problems, and getting some pretty good help.

Mark,

From recent experience I would suggest you keep diseases and pests content to less than bare minimum. While most people who have kept bees for a year or two have an intrest in this it is way over the heads of those who only have an interest at this point.

You might just mention what some potential disease and pests are and leave it to that until someone asks a question.

It is very hard to keep content general enough for those who only have an interest.

Tom

You might tell them that beekeeping is a DEMANDING hobby. The bees have a seasonal schedule and the beginner actions have to mesh with the bees activities over the season. For those who want a quick thrill, recommend sky diving.
    Walt

I'm new and dumb ! Didn't get to start this year, started to late, that said in a month or so will put my bee order in for spring. I'll agree on a lot of pictures, healthy bees, good combs, simple do's and don'ts. There's at times way to much info to sink in the mushy mind, and this has to scare some new bee's away. We need pictures of unhealthy bees, SHBs, what I have been doing is reading Bee Source and learning much, but at times you "old timers" make it hard on us new comers with a lot we don't understand yet. By the way, my interest all started early this summer with a swarm in an electrical box in a neighbors yard. Son in laws friend is a bee keep, came over corralled them but they never made it, all gone in about three weeks. Anyway that when the bug bit me, can't wait for spring to come.
    Last edited by imthegrumpyone; 10-11-2013 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by imthegrumpyone View Post
    There's at times way to much info to sink in the mushy mind, and this has to scare some new bee's away.

but at times you "old timers" make it hard on us new comers with a lot we don't understand yet.
    TMI? Yeah, I can see where that could be a problem. That's what the Q&A part of the Program is for.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Local resources would be nice. Where can they go and see an actual beehive

Gene

"at the end of tonight's class, you'll see a slide with a recommended reading list if you wish to go more in depth than our introductory beekeeping presentation."
    My wife says I have ADD, but, hey look- a chicken!

Default Re: Talking Bees w/ Wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    You can try describing diseases - but I find it easier for both me and students to describe what healthy bees look like, and encourage students to research, call an experienced beekeeper for help if what they are seeing doesn't look normal. Diseases/Pests are mentioned by name, so that the students have at least heard of them - but I don't think a new beekeeper should be worried about spotting AFB - they should know that AFB exists. In a similar vain I mention that if the hives are kept in an area known to be frequented by bears, appropriate precautions need to be taken.
    I agree even first year medical student are taught to recognize normal. It's far easier to to talk diseases from the concept of normal or healthy. Focus on normal and diseases are best prevented as opposed to treating sick bees

We had 24 new faces show up to the talks and 8 of our regular participants as well as the 4 of us who spoke. Amongst the presenters we had three presenters w/ two years of experience keeping bees so they could give the perspective of the new beekeeper on getting started. And we had two veteran beekeepers, myself and another beekeeper who talked about equipment and me about biology and diseases and pests.

We had good talks and questions and snacks and honey tasting. A good time.

Sounds like all went well.

I'm curious, what did you decide to do with your presentation? Specifically, how did you cover the diseases and pests portion of the presentation? It would be nice to hear your thoughts on how it was received by new beekeepers, and anything you might do differently the next time.
    To everything there is a season....

I took the advice given here and showed photos of healthy looking brood stressing that knowing what healthy looks like. I did not go into in depth descriptions of diseases and pests but talked in general terms about what has been the major threat to the health and well being of beehives, AFB, and what is now the major threat, Varroa destructor. The damage varroa does and that it is a vector for viruses.

As someone in a previous talk mentioned, I spoke a little about bears skunks and racoons as pests. Stressing that folks living closer to the Adirondacks than those closer to the St. Law. Seaway should consider pre-emptively protect their investment w/ an electric fence.

Then questions were taken.

We have intentions of having a session of The BeeWellness Workshop sponsored by the Empire State Honey Producers Association next Summer which would really give people good knowledge and ideas about how to handle diseases.

We will also have hands on hive manipulating get togethers next Summer.

What I would do differently next time is have more illustrations to show for both talks and to be more organized in my speech, rather than what I would call speaking extemporaneously. I did have a hand full of 3X5 cue cards, but forgot my glasses. I'd use a podium to stand behind and a chalkboard or a dry erase board.

I might start off by asking what people are concerned about. And speak on that. Though maybe most would have no idea what to be concerned about. Just thinking out loud here.

Sounds like it went well, Mark. I sure wish I could have been there. The more I learn about bees. the more I realize how little I know.

Me too. Sometimes I think that my brain only has so much room.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I can always refer them to beesource.com. lol In which my first answer to allan was something like "How many do you have? How many do you want to have? That's how many will fit."

Had we been face to face I would have had the opportunity to see his reaction and a chance to ask more questions to better understand what allan was asking.

What responsibility does someone asking a question have towards knowing what they are asking about before asking?
    that is true you have to know what you want to know before you ask the guestion

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12