Hybrid View

Default October Requeening

I'm going to be requeening a couple of my hives this week and was looking for any suggestions you might have. I have never requeened this late in the year and was wondering if there is anything I should be aware of, anything I should do differently than Spring or Summer requeening?
    To everything there is a season....

Default Re: October Requeening

Just make sure the queen cage is down in the center close to the brood area where the workers are instead of up top. She'll need to be down where they are so they keep her warm enough while they work on releasing her.

HTH

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

I haven't done it this late, but I would appreciate if you share what you did since you are close to me.

Good point Rusty. I use upper entrances on all my hives so they still have a frame or two of brood in the top box. I"ll make sure the cage is inserted with the brood, shouldn't have to remove the top box.

Just went through the colonies this evening and took out the old queens. Will introduce the queen cages tomorrow afternoon and then give them a day or two to adjust before releasing them if they are not already out.

The weather has been very mild and it looks like that will continue for the next 7 to 10 days, 60's - 70's. I don't know if I would want to try this if the weather was more normal for this time of year. I usually don't look for queens when I inspect, I'm more interested in looking at the brood. It took me a couple times through to find them. I'm going to have to start marking all my queens, they can be allusive at times. Will keep you posted merince.
    To everything there is a season....

I had a hive go queenless and I got a queen from someone and introduced her. But 2 weeks later there is no brood and I can not find the queen. A friend had a frame with a number of queen cells so I put them in the hive after shaking off the bees that came with them. I still have drones in the hive, hopefully a queen will hatch and mate. Weather is nice but will be turning cooler in a day or two. 50's for highs. Do you think there is a chance she will do a mating flight? I think there were 8 cells on the frame, maybe too many?

I think it's too late for a flight and I think there would't be drones available either.

Also, you chances are that you actually still have your queen, but I won't go digging for her.