Lightbulb Raid Alert. Do Bees at the hive change the frequency of their buzz when being raided?

Greetings and salutations!

First time poster here with a question that the almighty Google has failed to answer.

For all you beekeepers out there, have you noticed if the pitch of the buzz around your hives changing when your bees become agitated?
    How about when you notice they're being raided/robbed by other insects, like hornets or other colonies?
    How does the pitch of the buzz change?

I've been thinking of taking up beekeeping, and am having a great time researching about their behavior and everything else involved. The above question popped into my head earlier when I was wondering if there was a scientifically quantifiable way in which the agitation, or raid status, of a hive could be detected or measured.

I'd greatly appreciate it if you'd share your thoughts or experiences, or could point me in the right direction to find the information I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Default Re: Raid Alert. Do Bees at the hive change the frequency of their buzz when being rai

Welcome to Beesource from Greene County Tennessee!

At least at Beesource, "roar" is a better search term than "buzz" for hive sounds.

Try the Beesource Google Custom Search, on the left side of the home page:
    http://www.beesource.com/

A search phrase of "roar hive robbing" brings up plenty of hits.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Default Re: Raid Alert. Do Bees at the hive change the frequency of their buzz when being rai

There is a lot findable on the subject on Google...

http://www.beehacker.com/wp/?page_id=103

Just search for beehive sounds...
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

Thanks a lot!

Using different, more accurate, terms turns up plenty of results like you've said. I was using the wrong terms and had pigeonholed myself.

Experienced this just the other day - They changed pitch and within 10 seconds BOOM! they were all over me. So yes, definitely keep your ears open, especially this time of year when many are overcrowded and protecting their stores.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

Hi! New here. I have been feeding Bees since the day they arrived and were eating the blueberry juice through the cracks in a jar that held blueberries and of which I put on top of my shed (since at the time of the jar breakage I didn't want to deal with it) It was January 1 2010? the day the birds fell from the sky in Beebe Ar (I'm in Hardy Ar) they arrive every fall now and I set out feeding stations. When doing so, one Bee will always come up next to my hair in front of my ear and go..."ZZZ ZZZ ZZZ" in a low mellow hum. It's cool.

Question..or do I make a new post/thread whatever it's called. But, do Bees fight? Today two Bees were fighting! Is this usual? Also many bees were ganging up on something. Is this Queen Balling? Oh! And it looks as if there are two different breeds of Bee one with yellow and black stripes in a uniform stripping and another with more of a solid black at the end.

Funny it is how Wasps don't come around when the Bees are present. This year though, the yellow jackets share feeding stations with the bees.

Bees do indeed fight, and do it viciously! If you are open feeding bees, it is an invitation for robbing and a general bee melee. It is best to do it in an in-the-hive type of feeder. Open feeding will lead to a robbed out hive when the neighborhood bees (the black ones) find your hive.

On the black bees... Some wildish bees are darker, but more than likely those are just robbers who have had their hair rubbed off from fighting.

zelfor...If you find researching info on bees fun, you MUST get bees! The more you learn and know, the more you know you don't know diddly squat!!! Bees are an every day learning adventure!

As far as the sound of the bees, ABSOLUTELY, they DO speak to us, IF we listen! I learned the hard way to listen to my hives. They will tell me exactly when they have had enough of me. Sometimes they give me a while, sometimes they don't! But these girls are in charge! (unless you find getting stung fun...then they will give you plenty of that, too!) A hive can go from a content bzzzzz to a loud roar in no time. You'll learn their sounds quickly...IF you remember to listen.

Welcome to beesource! Lots of great, and very knowledgeable folks here!

Bees "speak" with buzzing and smell. It is their language.

I notice my observation hive will do a dissonant keen all night long when they are being robbed in the daytime.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF