Default How Cold is too Cold

It will be in the upper 60's today, is that too cold to go through the hive?

Default Re: How Cold is too Cold

Min temp for a full inspection is 55F, accordig to Beekeeping for Dummies.

Use cover cloths such as a pillow case, or a towel, water proof cloths and keep draft out of super, if you want.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

If the foragers are flying it is warm enough to go into the hive.
    Dave

If I do an in depth inspection I place an empty nuc box next to the hive I am going into. If I need to temporarily remove a frame with brood, I place it in the nuc box against the wall, and pull a second frame and place it next to the first one to keep the brood from chilling. I do not pull brood frames at all when temps are below 50 F.

Try to keep the brood frames in something (like an extra super, or a cooler with a warm brick inside it) and be quick. Why do you want to do a full inspection?

Keep in mind that it is kind of late and cold and beekeeping errors such as chilling the brood or crushing or injuring the queen are going to be hard to fix and are going to set the bees back big time. It takes about 30 days for worker brood to emmerge and with the cold temps they might be out of time to replace any chilled brood. The brood in the hive right now will be their "winter bees" that need to keep the beehive going through the winter and into spring.

I wouldn't do a full inspection without a very compelling reason.

Agreed, for better or for worse, the bees are pretty much on their own at this point. Unless you just get a really warm day, I wouldn't advise messing around in there either.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com