Thread: Thymol & mites

Hybrid View

Default Thymol & mites

Question , How or what is the mechanism with Thymol that kills v mites?

Also, how would you suggest to use Thymol?

looking for additional soft treatments for mites at different times during year.

Thanks in advance
    Larry Pender,Jubilee HoneyBee Company,Camarillo, CA

Default Re: Thymol & mites

Check Randy Oliver's site. But remember, if you measure your thymol syrup in Milli-moles, he will claim you are not a beekeeper( a comment I took personal).

Crazy Roland

Thymomite from Heilyser Technologies is a fine product. It is a strip impregnated with 12g of thymol. Add 1 strip on the top bars, 2 weeks later a second one. Treat when temps are below 90F. works pretty good. Price is reasonable.

You can also add 2 tsp of thymol in the lid of a honey jar. You need a screen of sorts place on the lid to keep the bees from removing the thymol. You would also need an inner cover o there is sufficient room to place the thymol. the bees tend to want to propolize the screen to seal the thymol vapours.

I have tried the former method and not the latter.

Jean-Marc

Anybody use it in a fogger with FGMO, if so, how much?

Larry,

My understanding is that Thymol is a “membrane disruptor”. To me this is like putting soap or salt on an open wound. Mites and insects have soft connective tissue around moving parts that are susceptible.

There are some commercial applications on the market and some homemade applications too.

Joe
    Breeder Queens & Honey Bee Nutritional Supplements
    www.latshawapiaries.com

I intend to use 1 drop Thymol per ounce of FGMO and see how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by jean-marc View Post
    Thymomite from Heilyser Technologies is a fine product. It is a strip impregnated with 12g of thymol. Add 1 strip on the top bars, 2 weeks later a second one. Treat when temps are below 90F. works pretty good. Price is reasonable.
    I will second that. Bees will tend to propolize it at times but when the conditions are right it's a pretty effective treatment. The big advantage thymol has over Formic is that you aren't "on the clock" before it quits working. Even after an extended period of cold weather, in which few mites are being killed, all it seems to take is a little warm weather to activate it again.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by jean-marc View Post
    Thymomite from Heilyser Technologies is a fine product. It is a strip impregnated with 12g of thymol. Add 1 strip on the top bars, 2 weeks later a second one. Treat when temps are below 90F. works pretty good. Jean-Marc
    Can you elaborate on the effects it has on the hive? I've used apiguard which can greatly affect the brood, sometimes stopping brood laying for a while. We've cut the dosage in half during warmer temps to reduce this effect. I was wondering how the thymol strips you mentioned interact with brood suspension. Is there any suspension of brood laying? If so, how long? I've been looking at using these strips this fall but wanted to find out if they will cut short our fall brood rearing here in florida. Thanks for any info

You are going to see a lot of the same issues with thymomite as you will with Apiguard. Some queens may shut down and you may even lose a few here and there. I really like the convenience of the strips and have had good success using them between the boxes in a double placed across the frames and towards the back. We have used half strips with good success if the forecast is for high temps creeping above 90. A repeat application a few weeks later may well get your mite numbers to acceptable levels though some hives just seem determined to propolize them instead of shredding and removing them.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by JoshJames View Post
    Can you elaborate on the effects it has on the hive? I've used apiguard which can greatly affect the brood, sometimes stopping brood laying for a while. We've cut the dosage in half during warmer temps to reduce this effect. I was wondering how the thymol strips you mentioned interact with brood suspension. Is there any suspension of brood laying? If so, how long? I've been looking at using these strips this fall but wanted to find out if they will cut short our fall brood rearing here in florida. Thanks for any info
    Below is some email correspondence I've had with Heinz at Heilsyer Tech. Heinz has been a Beekeeper for about 40 years. Not only does he know the product he sells, he uses it himself and is a patient mentor. Below the quote is an image he sent me on how he treats his hives.

Heilyser Technology
    Oct 13 at 1:23 PM

Hello Colino, there are many Thymol products on the market.

Thymol is an essential oil and can be a natural part of your honey. Check the internet, pure thyme honey available. There is no MRL on Thymol, the same on oxalic acid and formic acid. If you have Thymol crystals almost the whole year as a mite treatment in your hive (in a tray protected with a screen), you MIGHT taste it. The Thymol in Thymovar or the strips is gone in a few weeks and no problem with your honey. There is a recommendation from the government not to use it during honey flow, this is because of the taste. If somebody has thyme in the garden, or there is a field of thyme in your neighborhood, you will have it in your honey.

I treat early in August because I like to have undamaged and healthy winter bees. Thymol needs the same evaporation temperatures like formic, if it is to cold you waste your money.

The recommended amount of strips or Thymovar works only successful in one or two deeps. With more boxes, the volume is too big and more Thymol is necessary, but Thymol fumes are heavier than air and go down, therefore you should place the product on top of the brood frames. There is nothing to remove, if the Thymol is evaporated, only fabric is left and bees with a good cleaning behavior will shred it.

My treatment.jpg
    But every sunday afternoon he is a dirt track demon
    In a '57 chevrolet- Jim Croce

Yes, it's true thymol fumes are heavier than air but if you put the strips directly under the lid you need a rim to allow space for evaporation or a lot of hives will propolize them onto the lid, in effect, sealing them up. I don't have rims or recessed lids but, again, have seen pretty good efficacy when placed in the middle of a double where it is within but on the outer fringes of the cluster. That's where they get the most attention. BTW don't even think of trying to hang them between frames like most other mite control strips.