Default How is your pepper flow down south?

we dropped a load of bees in Ruskin, Florida on September 17 and went back to check on them this past week. 394 of the 500 colonies were loaded with pepper honey. We put more deeps and supers on and will go back and extract in about two weeks. looks like a significant crop this year for us. What are you all seeing?

Default Re: How is your pepper flow down south?

I am seeing a lot of new beehives showing up in places I have never seen them before. People are "dropping" loads of bees all over the place.

With the dry air from this cold front that just came thru, pepper is pretty much shut down if not over.
    Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Mansell View Post
    With the dry air from this cold front that just came thru, pepper is pretty much shut down if not over.
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by TheSweetBeeCo View Post
    I am seeing a lot of new beehives showing up in places I have never seen them before. People are "dropping" loads of bees all over the place.
    Two of my locations where I was basically alone last year, this year have big bee yards literally within sight of my bees. I think there's plenty of nectar to go around, but you can bet I'll be moving those yards out first as soon as honey is pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by acbz View Post
    Two of my locations where I was basically alone last year, this year have big bee yards literally within sight of my bees. I think there's plenty of nectar to go around, but you can bet I'll be moving those yards out first as soon as honey is pulled.
    Tip: Either find a day cool enough when bees arent flying or pull that honey really, really fast and get it the heck out of there.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

you can bet I'll be moving those yards out first as soon as honey is pulled.
    Courious....why pull your honey supers and hives first??? Afraid that the outfits may grab yours or is there another end result your working towards??
    3 hives/2 nucs

It must be good, they're just dumping honey on the highway over there now.

Way to many bees showing up down here. Guess out-of-state guys think its ok to drop their junk anywhere they want. Bet they wouldn't like it if we show up in their area.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadler91 View Post
    Way to many bees showing up down here. Guess out-of-state guys think its ok to drop their junk anywhere they want. Bet they wouldn't like it if we show up in their area.
    Very true, and I'm guessing the Dakota and California boys would wholeheartedly agree!

That said, I'm satisfied with what they've made on pepper this year. They sure looked like crap coming back from an awful rainy/cold summer up north. I'm always impressed by how much honey a dinky hive can bring in, given a decent flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Mansell View Post
    Stupid question, but why does the flow shut down after a Florida cold front and that little bit of dry air that we get comes through for a few days. I would think that the rain would help that blew through before the front. Just curious.
    Troy 7/12 -4 langs T

Brazilian Pepper trees came from a rain forest. 3+ days of cold and its done. At least that has been our experience.

Thanks for the reply. Now I have another useful nugget of info about beekeeping in Florida to store away and try to remember.
    Troy 7/12 -4 langs T

I would say that it is pretty much in the last stages of bloom. Yesterday I checked several areas and berries were abundant in each place. Yes, get the supers out of the yards, robbing will start real soon.
    The squatters and less friendly commercial beeks have placed bees all over the place with no regard to us resident beeks. I had another guy from out of state place about 200 hives within throwing distance from me. Hopefully the State Apiary Dept will finally do something or I am afraid the wars will begin.