Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Workable mouse guard?

18K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  Barry 
#1 ·
Simple and cheap. 1/2" hardware cloth. Anyone see any downfalls?

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks good I myself just bought some aluminum angle sold at the Big box stores and local hardware store, cut it to size, drill holes in it and works just like the stainless steel ones you see for sale but cheaper..oops I mean inexpensive :)

#3 ·
> Anyone see any downfalls?

Well, I believe that mice can get through a 1/2" hole. :eek: :lookout:

From Michael Bush
Mice.

Genus Mus. Many species and varieties. Also shrews (Cry ptotis parva). Mostly these are a problem during winter when the bees are clustered and the mice move in. Using #4 hardware cloth (1/4" squares) over the entrances will let the bees in and out and not the mice. Or use only an upper entrance so the mice can't get in.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beespests.htm
- and from University of Georgia -
Mice can get through any hole that will admit the tip of your little finger.

http://warnell.forestry.uga.edu/service/library/index.php3?docID=420

#6 ·
Not sure why you are using a reducer and hardware cloth both. The reducer alone should be enough to keep the mice out unless you are just being extra cautious. I don't reduce the entrance but use hardware cloth for mice. I used 1/4" for years and it works okay but slows the bees down some and drags some pollen off in the spring. Last year I wintered 50+ hives using 1/2" without any problems with mice and it's less restrictive for the bees.

While 3/8" hardware cloth is uncommon, they do make it. I found some on-line but it required buying a full roll for around $150 + shipping!

#29 ·
I keep 3/8" gap year around and have had mice get in by slightly chewing the bottom of the hive body, which measured about 1/2" high. Perhaps because they had no restriction side to side they elongated to get in. With 1/2 wire restriction, I guess that could be the difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.