Default Wintering Bees in NUCS

Hi All

I have a hive that was hit by small hive beetles and dwindled the hive. I was able to save the hive by reducing the hive down to 1 deep with 10 frames, removing the infested frames and installing other frames with comb that I had stored. Basically I just crowded the hive.

I have 6 frames that have brood and look good, 4 other frames have nothing on them.

My question is, can I take 5 frames and transfer the bees to a NUC for the winter? Also, can anyone tell me how successful they were wintering a hive in a NUC?

Thanks for any input...

Default Re: Wintering Bees in NUCS

Use two story nuc and put all the combs in it and feed. 5 combs of brood in bottom and one in the middle of the top nuc box with the 4 empties.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Use two story nuc and put all the combs in it and feed. 5 combs of brood in bottom and one in the middle of the top nuc box with the 4 empties.
    Thanks Michael for your info I started over wintering 5 frame med nuc's last year it worked well. Had to feed some in the spring but when the flow came on they took off and was able to make splits twice. Of course I fell behind and lost some swarms. Doing it again now. If it works in Vermont and Fl. it should work ln NC
    Im really not that serious

With 5 frames of brood, this hive is candidate for a single or a 5 over 5 nuc as Michael Palmer suggested. They sound like they are light on stores, so you will definitely need to feed. More on wintering configurations here and winter feeding here.