Thread: New Hive

Default New Hive

Just finished my latest hive for next year. I plan to build 4 more just like it, plus a few more pieces. Check out those handle cut outs, I built a jig for my table saw to do that. Notice the middle box, looks a little rough on the front. I wasnt paying attention and cut the handle on the wrong side. The metal brackets are by Eco Bee Box, out of Utah. Hopefully they will make the boxes last longer. I think that they make them look better anyway.

EcoBeeBox.jpg

See blog "The ups and downs of beekeeping" for story. http://blakelysbees.com/blog/post3.html

Clay

Default Re: New Hive

Beautiful!!!! Are these mediums?

Quote Originally Posted by philip.devos View Post
    Beautiful!!!! Are these mediums?
    Thanks. Yes, I decided to go with 10 frame mediums.

The hive looks very nice but I think to myself "wicked overkill."
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

When it's just a hobby overdoing things can be fun. I like them. Wish I would have built my own hives.

I love working with cedar. The extra supports will help as the cedar seems to be a little brittle when you crack the boxes apart after the bees propolize them.

What did you treat the cedar with?

I started with polyurethane on mine but it did not last a season. I am now using Flood CWF and it seems to hold color longer and does not turn grey.

It does look a little like furniture out there. Not as much over kill as you might think. I may have around $75-90 into that hive as it sits. When I add foundationless budget frames from Western Bee, I may have another $30-35 (with shipping) into it. If you count my labor???

I made a few of my own boxes before, the normal way, which called for rabbeted ends. I did not have a dado blade so I had to do multiple passes on my table saw for the same effect. That got real old real fast.

I am also cheap, so I bought some budget boxes from Western Bee. Very functional, but as seconds they did have some flaws. When I painted them up they worked just fine.

I still wanted to build my own from scratch and thought about just buying a set of dado blades. Then I found this system. I could build my boxes from scratch with just straight cuts. The brackets made them stronger and hopefully last longer. Using cedar should also make them last longer with the added benefit that it also looks nice. But if I have an issue with any of the boards, I can just unscrew it and replace the board. I can also keep a few different end boards around and turn a regular box into a nuc, if I wish by swapping out the end boards. It is not glued or nailed together so it makes for an easy repair/replace.

I found a super deal on the cedar, they were very thick 6' 1X8 fence boards that I got for $2.70 each. 1 board made 1 box with very little waste. It may have cost me around $12-13 per box with the brackets and frame rests. Except for one screw up (I cut the handle on the wrong side), I used smooth side out and rough side in. I read an article by I believe it was by Dr Marla Spivak, that propolis was very beneficial to the honey bee and rough cut wood encouraged then to use more propolis to cover it.

I made the finish myself. I melted down a pound or so of beeswax. I used a new 1 gallon paint can from Home Depot and put it in a pot of water to make a double boiler. When it melted I added 2 quarts of boiled linseed oil and 1 quart of turpentine. That pretty much filled my paint can. I brushed that on and then wiped it off after an hour or so. I did not see my levels in the can go down a lot, so I believe that I could treat a lot of hives for about $20. I don't know how long it will last, I may have to retreat every couple of years. But I think that I could treats the hives while they are still in use with that mixture. Although my wife with the sensitive nose complained about the turpentine smell in the garage for a couple of days.

Clay

how is the frame rest cut? Is it a rabbet at the top edge of the end boards? If it is how did you cut it?

Quote Originally Posted by NewJoe View Post
    how is the frame rest cut? Is it a rabbet at the top edge of the end boards? If it is how did you cut it?
    I used an aluminum bracket for the frame rest. If you look at the first picture you will see a metal rim on the front of the box. I just ripped that front board down to 6' and screwed the frame rest to it. The frame rest is built to fit under the corner brackets so it all ties in. The frame rests are hollow, so it could be a hiding place for small hive beetles. One way to fix that is to rip a little strip of wood and insert it in the frame rest. I hope I am north enough not to worry about that.

Here is a link to my website that may give you a little better view; http://blakelysbees.com/bees/EcoBeeBoxTopCover.html I was trying to show the top cover so you have to look past it to see the frame rests and how they fit and work into the corner brackets.

Clay