Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: How do YOU mix 50 gallons of syrup?

VolunteerK9:

Lots of similarities isn't it! Seems like a LOT of fun things involve, sugar, burners, large kettles, tubing and hoses, LOL!!

Speaking of which, those that are handy could rig up a HARMS or RIMS type system for heating water. They are used in beer brewing, basically a 1"-2" copper tube with a water heating element installed in it with water recirculated until the desired temp is achieved. One could also use a portable instant on / on demand type water heater. I have a small one, but it only puts out about 1.6gal/min of ~120F water. Some models will do 5+ gal/minute of 120F water. You could also invest in a pump used in beer brewing as well, they are magnetic drive and can run continuously even with boiling temps, but should work great on cooler syrup to transfer to buckets, etc.

I only make small batches, so I use my Blickmann 15gal SS kettle and burner to heat up enough water for the batch I'm doing, then dissolve in the sugar and mix with a large SS spoon. This winter I'm thinking of converting one of my SS kettles to one with an integrated immersion chilling coil to chill it's contents quickly, use it for making syrup AND beer....hehehe, gotta love multipurpose tools.

I'm reviving this thread to give an update, and also to bump it a little since it was pretty useful to me last year. I'm now able to mix 40 gallons of 65% syrup in about a half hour. The biggest improvement that I've made is that I got a simple 120 volt 1000 watt immersion heater from Mann Lake - $56 to get my water good and hot - then the sugar disolves quickly and completely without much extra work - I'm actually stirring it with a paddle instead of hooking up a drill. It's that easy.

So my set up is a food grade steel barrel with a faucet bung welded into the side near the bottom sitting up on some blocks so I can get gallon jugs under the faucet. Add 20 gallons of cold water and run the heater overnight to get it hot then stir a little bit between adding 25 pound bags of sugar - 250 lbs total. Then I go ahead and run it into gallon jugs while it is still hot. I still wish I had put in a faucet with larger internal passages so that the jug filling would go faster, but all in all this is pretty efficient for this amt of feed.
    Since '09-75H-T-Z6b

We run water out of the hot water tank into a 55 gallon drum using the pressure of the hose to make a whirlpool and then stir in the sugar from the top helping the funnel along. Always works great, takes about 15 minutes total. Somewhere around 10 drums from November to April is the norm. We have a drum with a spigot and hose to dispense it into division board feeders.

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    So my set up is a food grade steel barrel with a faucet bung welded into the side near the bottom sitting up on some blocks so I can get gallon jugs under the faucet. Add 20 gallons of cold water and run the heater overnight to get it hot then stir a little bit between adding 25 pound bags of sugar - 250 lbs total. Then I go ahead and run it into gallon jugs while it is still hot. I still wish I had put in a faucet with larger internal passages so that the jug filling would go faster, but all in all this is pretty efficient for this amt of feed.
    Would love to see a photo of that if you have one.
    karla

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    We run water out of the hot water tank into a 55 gallon drum using the pressure of the hose to make a whirlpool and then stir in the sugar from the top helping the funnel along. Always works great...
    Unfortunately I just don't have a water heater in the vicinity.

Quote Originally Posted by winevines View Post
    Would love to see a photo of that if you have one.
    I don't have one, but I can get one if you want. I'm afraid it will be pretty underwhelming.
    Since '09-75H-T-Z6b

I'm afraid it will be pretty underwhelming.
    Sometimes that is what I need to see. I over complicate almost everything if I plan it out.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, not trying the no treatment anymore

I think if I had to do it I would just go buy a cement mixer. It is already meant for exterior use, can be driven by gas motor, easy to clean and can dump fast for multiple batches.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

If I needed to mix large batches I think I would combine the use of an immersion heater with a submersible pump.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

300lbs of sugar, 18 gallons of hot water in a 55gal drum and a trolling motor. Put the water in first, start the trolling motor and gradually add the sugar.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

>> I think if I had to do it I would just go buy a cement mixer.

I spent many hours of quality time with a cement mixer this spring. For part of the project I even tried to dump the mixed contents into 5 gallon buckets.

One problem is that since the mixer drum pivots when dumping, the point where the contents come out of the drum is dependent upon the angle of the dump. As you have to progressively increase the mixer drum tilt, the exit point will constantly move. This means that one will have to constantly move the bucket to match the drum, else the contents don't go in the bucket. Doesn't work very well.

Find a better solution!
    Graham
    . . . . . . "those who want to see, can see". - - [Oldtimer - 2016]

The sump pump in a barrel method is what I use. It works well. I plan to add a water heater element eventually.

See the video below.
    https://youtu.be/09SAYHyz9os

Quote Originally Posted by djastram View Post
    The sump pump in a barrel method is what I use. It works well. I plan to add a water heater element eventually.

See the video below.

That's a Sweet setup!
    BeeCurious

If you should ever wnat to make smaller amounts, say 10-15 gallons - consider using a tea urn. For very little money (now that these are coming out of China) you get a s/s vessel fiited with a tap and heater. All you then need to add is an overhead motor (pillar drill ?) driving a propeller shaft.
    LJ

Quote Originally Posted by djastram View Post

See the video below.
    I tried using a sump pump last year for this and with cold water it never did dissolve all of the sugar. I could have lived with that, but then the $100+ brand new pump didn't even last one year. Apparently pumps for water don't always work for syrup. But with hot water you can make good syrup without very much agitation.

I do wish I knew where I could get a PROVEN 12 volt syrup pump (for less than several hundred dollars) so that I could put the barrel in my truck and just pump right into the hives - thus cutting out the step of putting it in jugs.
    Since '09-75H-T-Z6b

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    >> I think if I had to do it I would just go buy a cement mixer.

I spent many hours of quality time with a cement mixer this spring. For part of the project I even tried to dump the mixed contents into 5 gallon buckets.

One problem is that since the mixer drum pivots when dumping, the point where the contents come out of the drum is dependent upon the angle of the dump. As you have to progressively increase the mixer drum tilt, the exit point will constantly move. This means that one will have to constantly move the bucket to match the drum, else the contents don't go in the bucket. Doesn't work very well.

Find a better solution!
    I wonder if robbing would be a problem too? I think it might.
    Since '09-75H-T-Z6b

And here's a picture. I told you it wouldn't be impressive...

The paint can just puts it at the correct height for a jug to sit under. To the left you can see a dipstick marked in gallons.
    Since '09-75H-T-Z6b

I do wish I knew where I could get a PROVEN 12 volt syrup pump (for less than several hundred dollars) so that I could put the barrel in my truck and just pump right into the hives - thus cutting out the step of putting it in jugs.
    Have you looked in RV water system pumps? I am also looking at this pump for building an RO system for my maple syrup set up. According to the manufacturer it can run on 24VDC. Though I did get that info third hand, so would need to verify it myself.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquatec-8800-w...=aquatech+8800

Shurflo makes a lot of 12VDC pumps as well

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_1yde3fhwb7_e

I wonder if robbing would be a problem too? I think it might.
    Like a flow hive setup, you would want to make a lid that seals so the bees can't get at it. A sealed lid would allow you to fill the drum to the rim and not worry about spillage. The lid could also incorporate valves for emptying or put the valves in the upper part of the barrel. Lots of possibilities. Where is the mixing usually done, near the hives or in a honey house?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Like a flow hive setup, you would want to make a lid that seals so the bees can't get at it. A sealed lid would allow you to fill the drum to the rim and not worry about spillage. The lid could also incorporate valves for emptying or put the valves in the upper part of the barrel. Lots of possibilities. Where is the mixing usually done, near the hives or in a honey house?
    Let's delete this absurdity as well...

No one is going to be adapting lids (with valves) to cement mixers.

Where is the mixing usually done
    Think about this a moment...

Do you honestly believe that someone would haul water and sacks of sugar out into a field (with no electricity) to mix up multiple batches of sugar syrup in a gas powered cement mixer, with hungry bees in the air?
    BeeCurious

If I may ad a bit,

I am having pretty good success with a heavy duty 40 gal trash container. I use cold water as it comes out of the tap. I mix with a heavy duty drill and a common shaft type paint mixer. It will mix 2:1 and does not settle out after a "good thrashing." I use a 1 gal dipper to fill the out-door straw filled plastic buckets. I think a pump for transfering is a really good idea. The pumps I have tried for mixing, however, just did not get the job done.

I wish you well, LP

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123