Default Brood in October in New England?

Shouldn't there be some brood in each hive this time of year? I had a strong hive which produced a full med. super last month. Yesterday I observed a huge congregation of bees outside the hive, so i had to go in and take a closer look. Lots of Honey and bees, especially in the upper body(2 deeps),
    but no brood at all? I could not find the queen either. I checked two other hives and found a few frames of brood, so I think I must have lost the queen in the hive in question? Also, the bees outside the hive seemed agitated or excited, but there was no robbing behavior observed?

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Brood in October in New England?

I had a hive that had a new queen in late August, she was laying right up to about three wees ago. I was busy at work for a bit so I wasn't able to check on them other than to feed. A week ago Saturday I finally went in and found no eggs or larvae, just some capped brood but not a lot. By last Saturday I resigned myself to the fact that I was going to lose the hive unless I combined them. So I went in to see what I had and how I would split them up and low and behold there was eggs and young larvae. I ended up giving them a medium super and some bees from another weak hive as they were somewhat light to start with. I can't offer much advice as I'm still new at it myself but I did have a very similar experience. The only thing I could think of was we had some cool nights a couple of weeks ago and the very young queen decided it as time to shut down.

Good luck! I hope you get lucky like I did.

I've had 2 nuc buyers calling saying they think they are queenless. I instructed them to double check, that queens shut down this time of year. They both called back that they had located the queen. Most of my queens have shut down.

I still see brood here and there and, as mentioned, it's easy to suspect being queenless this time of year.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Some do completely shut down and some don't. Keep in mind that a queen that has shut down is smaller than a laying queen. They are also quicker and like to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by merince View Post
    Some do completely shut down and some don't. Keep in mind that a queen that has shut down is smaller than a laying queen. They are also quicker and like to hide.
    But if you see emergency cells like in my case, the queen is gone. i lost two queens and saw queens cells. I destroyed them and combined them with two other hives.