Default Help I'm being robbed!

Came home from work a few minutes ago and one of my 5 hives is being robbed! I put a wet sheet over it and am waiting for dark. It only has 1x1" diamater top entrance hole. It has the bottom entrance screened off. Any other suggestions? It was by far my best hive this year! I havent been feeding them.

Default Re: Help I'm being robbed!

Reduce entrance PLUS add effective robbing screen(s). Yes, you can layer them.

Enj.

only a 1inch hole and they can't defend it? close it off for a few days. you sure its robbing?

>Any other suggestions?

You want to make sure it is robbing, see if it start up again first thing in the morning, orientation flights usually take place in the afternoon.

I would not seal up the hive you may kill them.

Move it 2 mile away. Inspect the hive, you could be queenless or have a problem that caused the population to dwindle. At this point it will be hard to keep alive over winter.

If you can fix the problem you might try this;
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-Garage-Update

I really need to start being more detailed. When I said close them up above I was thinking with screen. The reason is you said the hive is your best but if they can't defend a one inch hole they have problems besides robbing. Hopefully it was just a handful of scouts and they were turned away

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    I really need to start being more detailed. When I said close them up above I was thinking with screen. The reason is you said the hive is your best but if they can't defend a one inch hole they have problems besides robbing. Hopefully it was just a handful of scouts and they were turned away
    It was WAY MORE than a handful of scouts. There were bees pouring out the one inch hole like a hose of water. Clumps of bees falling to the ground. It was way out of control! Lots of fighting outside by the hole. I put a cork in the hole that hsd a smaller hole in it. It is warm so im worried they dont have enough exit/entrance area. I was gone all day. My wife said lots of bees above the hive (she wont get too close). Tonight lots of bees outside on top of the hive. May be hot. The whole bottom is screened so they get air that way also but cant get out. Will robbers hang out over night on the hive?

My guess is it's your bees that got locked out. Put a robber screen on and hopefully it's over. Your bees will figure out how to get in but robbers wont

Will robbers kill a queen?

Quote Originally Posted by blamb61 View Post
    There were bees pouring out the one inch hole like a hose of water.
    Sounds like a swarm. Yes, robbers can kill a queen.

With a screened bottom you can look in your tray for a whole lot of wax chips. This would indicate robbing.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Wax chips may indicate that cells have been uncapped. How does one determine whether the uncapping was done by the normal bees resident in the hive simply eating their stored honey to survive in a dearth, or robbers? And unless you know how much wax was laying there was on an ongoing basis, how would you judge whether there is suddenly "a whole lot"?
    Graham
    . . . . . . "those who want to see, can see". - - [Oldtimer - 2016]

By the amount and the location. The wax will be everywhere not just on one or two frames. Resident bees are organized. Robbers are chaos.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I did a full inspection of the hive today. What was a 3 deep hive with 80 to 90 lbs if stores is now a 3 deep with about 30 lbs left. The rest is gone. Cappings all over the place. Whats worse is it looks queenless. Only 30 or 40 capped cells in the whole hive. I didnt see new eggs. Found 3 emergency queen cells on side of frames hatched out. This hive is gone! The queen was 3 years old. I did 3 splits and got about 7 gal of honey from that hive this year.

Quote Originally Posted by blamb61 View Post
    This hive is gone! The queen was 3 years old. I did 3 splits and got about 7 gal of honey from that hive this year.
    Do you have some daughter queens from this hive? Sounds like it was a good one.
    To everything there is a season....