Default Sandard Churn Extractor and friendly neighbors

Hi all,
    First year beek that has learned a lot...started with 2 nucs, split a boomer, had one swarm and still got +10 gallons!

After my second harvest I decided to share the wealth with neighbors I knew and some I hadn't met yet. We live out in the sticks, maybe 10 houses with 5 sq miles.
    Anyway I dropped off 2 jars at the house of an "ol timer" and his wife, they were very thankful. Well Sunday she came to my house and asked if I'd like to have an old extractor they had sitting around. I said sure, thinking it can't be useable, and went over. It's from The Standard Churn Co. in Ohio, found the 1929 patent on line. It didn't look like much but I graciously accepted it. Got it home, hosed it down a bit, and gave it a spin. WOW, smooth as butter, this could really work! I'll clean it up this winter and give it a coat or two of Camcoat, clean up the gears and be set for next year.

Two questions:
    First, the attached honey gate is iron (?) and rusty, If I use a dremmel with a wire brush to clean it up and then Camcoat it will it be safe to use? Any better options?
    Second, does someone have a Standard Churn 4 frame? I'd like some input on how the frames are secured in the basket, not sure if I'm missing any basket parts.

Thanks for the help
    Rob

Default Re: Sandard Churn Extractor and friendly neighbors

I came across a little wonder extractor this summer, it has a expanded metal basket and the paint was flaking off. I had it sand blasted, put a good coat of industrial enamel on (even though camcoat says not to) and coated it w/ camcoat. Took about a week out in the sun but it finally stiffened up to where I couldn't dent it w/ my fingernail.
    A friend extracted 70# of honey w/ it and there's no wear marks in it, so it's pretty tough stuff. It is rated food contact (not occasional contact like some products), so I'm going to trust it till somebody comes up w/ a good reason not too, besides got seventy bucks into this adventure LOL!
    Had a rusty gate also, sanded it down, & I'm just using mineral oil it,

Most of the older extractors, and storage tanks, had metal gates on them. No reason they cannot be cleaned up and used. Most newer equipment has plastic gates on them. But, the metal gates will work fine.

cchoganjr

Is there any chance those old metal guillotine pot meal gates have lead in them?

Thanks for the input
    I've spent a little time on it with wire brushes and naval jelly. It's cleaned up pretty nice, no pitting in the gate, camcoat should keep out any impurities. The metal bands around the basket will take a little more time, they seem to have more rust, might have to make a new one.
    Thanks again.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Is there any chance those old metal guillotine pot meal gates have lead in them?
    Not likely. The composition of the metal itself would indicate that there could only be a very small amount of lead.

Lead has been grossly overblown in the media. Has anyone ever wondered how many walls a kid would have to eat, in order to get lead poisoning from lead based paint on the wall. (Or how many gallons you would have to drink. ) For years, virtually all paint contained lead, and, virtually without ill effects. In the U.S., we consume on average, a pint of honey per year per person, (approx 300 million pounds), ., (O.K. some consume much more, some, none at all.) But, if everyone consumed 5 gallons of honey, the amount of lead that could transfer from a gate or seam weld in an extractor would be difficult to even detect. I dare say you could eat the extractor and not get any where near enough lead to harm you. Same for galvanized extractors.

cchoganjr

Well said Mr. Hogan, having been involved in the Plumbing industry for 40+ years I think the "lead" thing is WAY overblown !
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape