Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Crikey, could this be a world record SHB kill?

Thank you for posting this! I've been squashing them in the sun, vacuuming them and trapping them in those precarious top bar oil traps (which do work if you use enough of 'em). I so can't wait to try this. While not traumatized at the site of these buggers, I do take extreme joy in seeing them trapped and killed, I must admit.

Apparently the felt backing doesn't cause any problem for the bees themselves, or is separating the felt from the bees a requirement?

Tom, I did not separate it from the bees. The largest catch was around the edges where the bees had teased the polyester out more. The method is so simple, inexpensive, non-time consuming, without oils and those chemicals that affect the bees on so many levels.

Have a different type of material and arrangement also being trialled. Will keep you posted.

So no bees killed at all? I found what I think is the same thing - polyester fiber backed vinyl tablecloth $5 at wall mart. Big enough to make about 12. Putting some on today.
    since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Quote Originally Posted by Kidbeeyoz View Post
    Tom, I did not separate it from the bees. The largest catch was around the edges where the bees had teased the polyester out more. The method is so simple, inexpensive, non-time consuming, without oils and those chemicals that affect the bees on so many levels.

Have a different type of material and arrangement also being trialled. Will keep you posted.
    My two remaining hives thank you (been a tough beetle year)!!!

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    So no bees killed at all? I found what I think is the same thing - polyester fiber backed vinyl tablecloth $5 at wall mart. Big enough to make about 12. Putting some on today.
    Noticed a couple of bee legs in the weave which means there were a few amputee bees in the hive. A small downside in my view.

Well, I put some on 6 hives this afternoon just to see how it goes. I'm gonna try anything that looks promising.
    since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Yes, I will try this! Thanks for the post and pics!
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

Great Post!!! I love that it is non chemical and seems to be just about no maintenance. Awesome!!!!
    The bees will like this. Thank You for sharing!!!!!

Hi David,
    I got some vinyl tablecloth with a backing but it looks like way too tight a weave to catch beetles. Nothing like the picture. Did you or anybody else here find a suitable material and caught a beetle in it. I'm dying to try it.
    thanks

David, do you have the brand name?

The one I am trying is from Wal-Mart "Mainstays" vinyl tablecloth - they have it with and without the polyester back, the package of the backed one (that you want) is fluffier looking. The poly backing is kind of thin, but it seems to work - but it does catch some bees. You don't want the queen to get caught too so putting it above an excluder is probably a good idea. So far I have only looked down through the 2 3/4" feeder holes to see what is going on with it so I'm only seeing a little spot. Putting it below a screened bottom board - just laying on top of the mite count board - might be a good way to go. More experimentation is certainly called for.
    since '09-25H-T-Z6b

The one I am trying is from Wal-Mart "Mainstays" vinyl tablecloth - they have it with and without the polyester back, the package of the backed one (that you want) is fluffier looking. The poly backing is kind of thin, but it seems to work - but it does catch some bees. You don't want the queen to get caught too so putting it above an excluder is probably a good idea. So far I have only looked down through the 2 3/4" feeder holes to see what is going on with it so I'm only seeing a little spot. Putting it below a screened bottom board - just laying on top of the mite count board - might be a good way to go. More experimentation is certainly called for.
    Just applied crawling SHB onto the Wal-Mart Mainstays vinyl tablecloth and it does not work. It slows them down a little, but not much. I think the polyester has to be very hairy-like. I'm headed to my local Hancock's for some.

It might work better once the bees tease it up a bit, but something that works right out of the box would be a lot better. A simple way to deploy it by which no bees get caught is also needed. But, this is a good direction to experiment.
    since '09-25H-T-Z6b

I wonder if you might be able to fuzz it up with a sanding disk or paint-stripping disk.

Quote Originally Posted by rhaldridge View Post
    I wonder if you might be able to fuzz it up with a sanding disk or paint-stripping disk.
    I'm going to try a metal brush I have and see if that gets me anywhere.

If the bees need to be kept from the stuff, a replacement frame with one side ply, the fuzzy stuff contact cemented to the ply, and a closure of #8 hardware cloth might do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidbeeyoz View Post
    Attachment 7953

Attached photo shows beetles that ensnared in a trap that sits on top of the honey frames. A quick estimate is that there is somewhere around 700 dead beetles in the trap.
    re: the record. I'd give it to you if that was for a week. For 4 weeks, I dunno. There's a lot of competition out there, cd cases and such.

That cloth does seem worth a try. I bet Wal Mart is all sold out.

I tried using a wire brush on it and it teases it up quite a bit. I'm going to deploy some oil trap bottom boards that I haven't been using, and put some samples of different materials in them to see what happens. Polyester quilt batting Looks promising - available at any fabric store including the ever-present Wal-mart. Felt, carpet scraps, cotton balls, fake sheep skin, dust balls from under the bed - if we try enough different things something will do it. Come to think of it I've seen bugs all gummed up in dust bunnies before....
    since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Quote Originally Posted by Gino45 View Post
    re: the record. I'd give it to you if that was for a week. For 4 weeks, I dunno. There's a lot of competition out there, cd cases and such.

That cloth does seem worth a try. I bet Wal Mart is all sold out.
    CD Cases can certainly catch a few if the bees don't propolize them too fast...

since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Has anyone used a stickey board on top of the inner cover hole with the sticky side up away from the bee's? A sticky board could be cut into 6 or more equal pieces and still cover the hole.

I would like to try the "crickey cloth" if someone can come up with a name of the material and where we can find it.
    Myron Denny

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast