Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Crikey, could this be a world record SHB kill?

I found something on amazon that looks like it will work. I'm going to try it this coming weekend, mainly to see if the bees get caught it in. I think it will work, thou I don't know how active SHB are now that it's cooling off. I ordered batting material, like they make padded blankets with. I bought one the size of a crib and it rolls out to about 5 feet. I've been using oil trays and they work, but they are expensive. I'm hoping to find something that works so I can move trays around. Right now I've got one under every hive, but they cost 30 bucks each. That adds a lot of cost to a hive. I'll respond back to this thread next week, but it's going to freeze her the next two nights which is pretty unusual for this time of year...

I want to find a source for hardware cloth that the bee's will not drop through and SHB will drop through and I can drown the SHB in cooking oil. No 6 is the size I have been told works. If this is not correct please let me know. Will aluminum hardware cloth cause problems? I will try the table cloth on top of the frames if someone can come up with what it is called and where I can find it other than Austrailia.
    Myron Denny

Suppliers are telling me that No 6 hardware cloth is what the SHB will fall through, if I use a No 6 screen bottom board with oil pan and a No 6 screen instead of an innercover, then put stickey material above the top screen that is replaceing the innercover, is this over kill?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123