Default Potential Beekeeper in Illinois doing research.

Wanting to learn as much as I can before jumping into getting a hive together.

Default Re: Potential Beekeeper in Illinois doing research.

Welcome,
    The only advice I can give you is based on what I wish I had done differently. It is true, do not only start with 1 hive. It is a challenge. You want a few hives so you can swap resources if needed. But don't go overboard and start with 10 either. It took me some time to efficiently do hive inspections. If I could do it all over again, I would have started with 3 hives.
    I found that beekeeping for dummies was a great starting point. I suggest you read that book first. It will get you used to terminology and also discusses bee behavior. I don't think it should be the only book you read though. It is basically an introductory book that to me was a very easy read.
    This forum is absolutely fantastic. The people have been nothing but an asset in helping me with my challenges. You have a lot of reading and building (hives) to do this winter.

Good luck to you, and maybe I will be knowledgeable enough in the spring to chime in and answer a question or two from you. And if I can't, fear not, there are many experienced and knowledgeable folks here who can.

Default Re: Potential Beekeeper in Illinois doing research.

Welcome! My first advice would be to find a mentor or bee club nearby.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com