Default Feeding honey back to bees

I have a couple of buckets of older honey that has started crystallizing that I want to feed back to my hives. For any who have done this, how much do you dilute it? I'm assuming that I would want to keep it as thick as I could, but diluting a little would make filling feeders easier.

Default Re: Feeding honey back to bees

you need not dilute it at all, or as much as you like, However the less you dilute the faster they will be able to store and cap. this will get the most moisture out of the hive faster, minimizing the possibility of condensation within hive during cold weather. But you should have ample time yet.

You do want to make sure they cannot get saturated (covered) with the honey and die.

I would feed it straight. In this way it will not spoil and the bees will not have the added work of curing/evaporating the water before they cap.

I'm saving my feedback honey for later in the year or next January when they can't use sugar mixture. Right now I'm using 1:1 and this month will change over to 2:1. More bang for the buck from sugar but the old honey can be put on in cold sub-50 degree weather.

oops double post.

How do you put in hive so bees won't drown in it?. I have seen them get stuck in it and can't get out.

Quart jar with small holes punched in lid. Place down on inner board with old towel or strip of housing insulation with hole cut out for jar. Place super body on inner board and then place telescopic top. That time of year the cluster will be in contact with honey supply in upper hive body (most of the time in Tn we will have some 50-60 degree days in Jan/Feb.) I have never had issues with honey leaking out of jars, but I guess it could happen if the lids are not tight.

Put crystallized honey on a strong, deep paper plate. Cover surface of honey with a sheet of wax paper. Slash bottom of plate a few times with hive tool. Put plate on top of bars with shim or over inner cover hole. Bees will access the honey from the bottom. Wax paper keeps them from drowning.

I usually put it in a jar with holes in the lid that I invert over the inner lid. I put an empty box around it.

It's a sacrelig. Why did yo take it from them in the first place?
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

If you dilute it it will spoil quickly. I don't dilute it and I seldom feed it back. I try to leave it...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Wouldn't feeding straight honey this time of year open your hive up to robbing?

If I had it, I'd probably keep it until spring and use it instead of syrup for comb building, if you use syrup.

P.S. - Nothing wrong with eating crystallized honey.

This is not my thread, but I do understand the need to feed old honey. I remove bees from houses and have about 5 gallons of honey that I took from under a trailer house. It was woven in amongst the insulation and I will not sell it or eat it myself. My state inspector said the bees would "clean it up" if I fed it back to them. I intend to use quart jars with holes in the lid inverted on the inner cover with a box covering the jar and then an outer cover. My thought is to do this in Jan/Feb when I want them to start a slow buildup.

Fuzzybeekeeper

That's interesting, fuzzy. That brings up another issue: do you always want to feed that kind of honey back to bees, or might it be better to throw it out?

Quote Originally Posted by NewbeeInNH View Post
    That's interesting, fuzzy. That brings up another issue: do you always want to feed that kind of honey back to bees, or might it be better to throw it out?
    Why not? The bees were storing that honey for their consumption anyway...all he did was move it from one place to another. Do bees normally store honey they don't intend to consume ?
    It's like people who say you can't feed honey from one hive to a different hive...??? Better tell that to the robber bees !

I would not say you can't. But, unless you know where that honey came from and whether it came from a hive not infected w/ AFB, it isn't a good idea because of the possibility that the honey in question did come from a colony infected w/ AFB.

Liked a lot of things, one has to be smart about this. Don't buy honey from the store and then set the jar out to be robbed when you are through w/ it. I guess honey from a cutout is probably okay. Since one would have ample opportunity to see whether AFB was present or not.

Other than the potential of AFB exposure, being a Commercial Beekeeper, I can't see feeding honey to bees. It is inconvenient and expensive, compared to other forms of feed.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

I guess I make too many assumptions.... And you know what that leads to.
    I figured he already knew the source of the honey so it wasn't a problem.
    And no I don't expect commercial beeks feed back their profit. Lol

> My state inspector said the bees would "clean it up" if I fed it back to them.

The bees can filter down to microscopic pollen particles, so yes, they will "clean it up".
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF